Chapter 2

Kaz grabbed some plates from the cart, placing them along the table and started loading the table with food and cups for tea. Silently he dished up a plate and handed it to Inej without either of them glancing at each other. Inej's parents glanced between them and than at each other. Kaz glanced up.

"Can I get you anything?" He asked politely, giving Inej time to eat a little bit before having to share her story. 

"Um, no thank you," Her father began. Kaz nodded before filling his plate as well as a cup of tea for Inej and himself. Her mother smiled at the gesture and quickly moved to fill her own plate, followed shortly by her husband. Once everyone had food on their plates, Inej set down her cup of tea and looked to Kaz. A habit she often did when she was unsure about how she should proceed. Kaz had settled into the chair across from her. At her glance he gave her a reassuring look before turning to his plate. This story was hers to tell, she was on her own. She took a breath and looked to her parents.

"As you know I was taking by slavers," Her parents winced and Inej scolded herself on the horrible start. "The journey itself was bad enough and I don't really what to get into it, but I ended up here." She took a shaky breath. "I remember being pulled off the ship. They made us stand in a line where people would look at us. I watched a lot of people disappear, And soon a woman named Tante Heleen came. She- She chose me, bought me and brought me to a- a place. I worked for her and she continued to build my debt and-"

"Where did you work?" Her father interrupted. Again she glanced at Kaz than back at her father.

 "The Menagerie" She glanced back down. Her parents may not have been in the city long, but they had heard about the menagerie though story's told aboard the ship as they traveled. Inej's mother grabbed her husbands arm and touched her hand to her mouth, shaking her head silently. "It was two years before I was able to get out." She glanced at Kaz before looking back down. "Kaz had been coming for years. For information!" She added quickly. "And I offered help. Apparently I had been able to sneak up on him. Something that doesn't happen often. He came back and I learned that he had payed off my indenture." Her parents looked to Kaz but he was staring at her, waiting to hear what she said next. "I-I was given a home, Kaz taught me to fight and to hide. I made friends and was able to stand up for myself. I've been free for two years now, and- and I've done a lot.." Kaz could tell that Inej was going to tell them about the deaths. Silently he got up and disappeared from the room, giving Inej privacy with her parents. He knew how much it would cost her to admit this new part in her life and he knew she would appreciate the absents of Kaz as she told them. He moved quickly towards the clock tower, their voices disappearing as he reached the top. The city chaos rose up to meet him as he sat himself down on the ledge. Thinking about how it had hardly been longer than a month since him and his gang had stood in this very spot. Silence enveloped him as he closed his eyes, thinking back of his own family, not that he could remember much.

"How did it go?" Kaz hadn't realized how long he'd been sitting there until Inej appeared behind him.

"They- they were shocked. They understand though." 

"Understood why?"

"Understood that that's what it took to survive." They lapsed into a comfortable silence. Inej had planted herself beside Kaz and together the watched the streets as they took a minute to relax. "Thank you," Inej stated.

"For all you did for us, Inej, this doesn't even begin to make up for it," Kaz began, startling Inej with his open and honest statement. A moment of silence before he continued, "your welcome." Inej smiled. Folding her hands in her lap.

"By the way," inej whispered. "My parents want to meet you." Kaz turned his attention to her.

"And you?" He questioned. She knew what he meant.

"I would like you to meet them." Kaz nodded before looking away.  Slowly he began to rise, offering his ungloved hand to inej to help hoist her up. 

"Are you going to put them on?" Inej asked once they were both standing. Glancing down at Kaz's hands, she could see he was already pulling out his gloves. 

"Just for the first bit," he responded. Inej understood. Kaz had gotten used to her, and that warmed her heart, but her parents were strangers to him and she knew that he couldn't afford to be looked down on. Still she pushed.

"They'll ask about them," hoping that maybe, he would take a risk.

"I know," he slipped the unknown leather protection onto his hands before glancing back up at Inej. "I just need-" He didn't have to finish. He tapped his cane against the floor, as if to test the strength of the ground instead of letting out nerves. Kaz would never admit it, but he was scared. The thought of meeting Inej's parents was a nightmare waiting to happen. Kaz would have to dodge questions, lie, and potentially fake a whole life story. He glanced over at Inej as she closed her eyes and breathed in one last bit of fresh air. 

Or he could tell them. 

They didn't know why he lied, they wouldn't out him to the world. Would they?

"Inej," Kaz started, drawing her attention to him as her eyes opened. "Can I trust them?" The question confused Inej but she tried to answer honestly. 

"I-I don't know," Inej decided. She hadn't seen them for years, they could have changed. "But I trust them." She concluded. Kaz nodded, his decision made. 

"Then we better get down there." Kaz offered his arm and Inej took it, a smile gracing her face. Together they made they're way down stairs, entering quietly. Kaz's cane being the only source of noise as both parents whipped around and stood. Kaz signed. 

This was going to be a longer night then he thought.

Okay, another chapter, as crappy as it is (I suck at writing, I'm so sorry)!! Hope you guys enjoyed. Might post this a day or two early, so if y'all are reading this before Wednesday, then cool! Happy 22022022! Hope y'all have a great one! Drink water! Read! Eat food! Okay BYE!!!!!

Sugi