Chapter 3

If some of this chapter doesn't make sense, please let me know! Also I'm sorry for any confusion!

Kaz and Inej slowly approached them. Luckily her parents didn't speck out until they were all sitting back in their chairs. Inej's father opened his mouth, but before he could say anything, her mother spoke, 

"Thank you," she started. "For helping her get out and-"

"Believe me, ma'am, Inej is the one you should be thanking," Kaz cut her off, trying hard to avoid praise. "She's saved us more times then we ever saved her." 

"Still, thank you," Her mom, continued. "I-"

"No need." Kaz brushed it off once more. Inej glanced at her parents and the dumbfound expression on their face. Inej had long since learned to not thank Kaz. She knew how much he hated it and how it placed him into the unwanted spotlight. Instead she learned that showing gratitude in small ways more than made up for it....well maybe a thank you didn't hurt all the time.

 Kaz crossed his legs, eyeing the half eaten, and now cold, plate of food. He's eyes darted to Inej's.

"Are you full, or should I call up some waffles?" Her parents glanced at each other at the obvious affection Kaz and Inej had for each other. However, they missed their daughter and they didn't want this boy being her only comfort.

"Wouldn't some fruit be better? I know how much you loved grapes," Her mother spoke quietly. Her motherly side taking full control. Inej became conflicted. She loved her parents but grapes had been something they ate in their rooms at the Menagerie and Inej had since come to hate them and the memories they brought back. Inej battled with herself as she tried to decline without hurting her parents, mainly by pointing out that they no longer knew her as much as they thought. Surprisingly Kaz spoke. 

"Actually-," He's eyes flickered to hers and he could see that this wasn't a fact that Inej wanted to admit just yet. "I'm afraid we don't have any in Ketterdam at the moment." Inej shot him a grateful look. 

"Oh, well-"Inej's mother looked lost for a second as her father eyed Kaz. "Are you okay with waffles?" She looked to her daughter who nodded. Kaz rose to order again before shortly returning to his seat. Inej's father took this as his opportunity. 

"So- Kaz," He began. Inej's eyes widen, not thinking that this was actually going to happen. "Where are you from?" Kaz locked eyes with him.

"Around," He started, not wanting to lie but not ready to share yet. Her father's lips thinned in disappointment and Kaz wouldn't lie and say he didn't feel like a scolded little kid again. Kaz swallowed. He had planned to tell Inej everything, when he felt ready, so why not now? He was probably going to regret this later but he took a breath.

"I'm from a small farm near Lij," He whispered. Inej whipped her head around to Kaz, her eyes as wide as the plates they had eaten from. 

"When did you come here?" Her father persisted, unaware of Kaz's tense shoulders and the power he had over the small boy. However he wanted to make sure that Kaz was right for his little girl and if he sensed a lie then he would shut it down.

"When I was nine, sir," He breathed out.

"Your parents brought you here?"

"No sir, I came with my brother." Kaz seemed more hesitant as the questions came, less and less willing to tell anyone anymore. Inej was glancing anxiously between her father and Kaz. Torn between wanting to know more about the mystery that was Kaz Brekker and wanting to protect him from the force that was her father.

"How old was your brother?" 

"Thirteen." Kaz's knuckles turned white on his cane as he refused to back down, wanting desperately to show Inej that he was opening up but feeling ready to pass out at any moment. The next question shut him down.

"Why not your parents?"

"Because they died," Kaz stated, emotion void from his face. However it wasn't his parents that he was thinking of, rather how he brother, his best friend, had also fallen dead. Like his parents, poor and sick.  

Silence filled the air as Kaz stared at Inej's father, Inej at Kaz, and Inej's mother at the floor. Inej had not expected Kaz to have been alone for so long, and yet here it was. A knock sounded at the door before Kaz, glad for the excuse got up to answer, returning moments later with a stack of steaming waffle. He placed the plate Infront of Inej who watched him and returned briskly to his armchair. Inej, ever the room reader, started to eat. Hoping to take some of the attention away from Kaz so he could breath. It didn't work

"How old is you brother now?" Inej's mother whispered. Trying to turn the attention away from Kaz's dead family and on to a better matter. However Kaz clenched he jaw before standing.

"21. Or at least he would have been," Kaz whispered before pacing out of the room, desperate to get away.  Inej's mother and father glanced at each other, guilt shining in their eyes at their curiosity. Inej finished 2 out of the 4 waffles before standing. 

"The last are for you if you want them," She spoke softly before going to find Kaz. She found him in the master bedroom staring out of the window.

"I'm sorry," Kaz whispered. Inej's heart broke.

"It's me who should be sorry. I should have warned you about their pushy curiosity."

"No, they had every right. I- I just thought that I could open up. To you." Inej started at him before moving to stand next to him.

"You tried and I appreciate it. But I don't want you to destroy your self for me. I-"

"I won't," Kaz interrupted. "I just wanted you to know that I wouldn't lie to you" Inej was touched. She nodded and looked to her feet. Kaz sensing the movement, smiled lightly, glad for her company. Inej mirroring the action. She took a breath, 

"To think, you, scared of my parents! You! The Kaz Brekker-" She chuckled trying to defuse the tension and Kaz made up his mind. One more secret wouldn't hurt.

"Rietveld," Kaz whispered under his breath. Inej stopped. Looking back up at him a question reflected in her eyes. She had missed his comment through her giggles. Her happy smile slowly replaced with a questioning one.

"Rietveld," Kaz repeated softly. Inej's eyes widening. " It's actually Kaz- Kaz Rietveld."

Okay! I know that suck and was probably really rushed, but I love the idea of Inej's dad question her potentially boyfriend and Kaz being this all noble kid who doesn't want to lie, and mess up his chances but also doesn't want to answer. Any way,  hope you enjoyed and that you liked the end of the chapter (totally not the real reason I'm writing this;) )!!!! Have a good one and don't forget that sleep is important (even if I avoid it)!!! BYE!!

Sugi