Don't Let A Stranger Lead You To Their Home, Kids

The sound of a creak plays— the door swings wide open. "I'm home," Varka says, but nobody in the house answers. The floorboards beneath them creak as two pairs of feet step along the lines. Behind them, the door closes shut with a band and the noises of birds chirping are drowned out.

"Where..?" Caraluna calls out mindlessly, observing every corner of the room. There is a fireplace to the left, and a table to the right. Next to them is a set of stairs that lead up to a dark corridor. He brings one foot forward inside the house, and he is enveloped with a sudden chill. The low temperature of his body opposes the warm heat that emits from the fireplace. It creates an irregularity, causing his body to become numb. He shakes his head; snow falls from the antlers that lay atop his head. "Where are we?"

Varka stands by the stairs. "In my house. Please stand by for a second." She rushes up the stairs, the wood creaking loudly with every step she makes. While she busies herself upstairs, Caraluna makes his way towards the fireplace. He can hear the fire crackle, reminding him of the breath that once escaped from Solfrid's mouth. It's been years since he saw such a sight. He holds the fur coat on him close. It's soft, and warm, and fluffy, and— something brushes against his leg.

He didn't realize his tail was there. The scales on it are as rough as ever. The spikes that protrude from it are flattened, indicating that Caraluna is calm right now.

The girl comes back with a hairbrush and a mirror. "I'm sorry for the wait!" she exclaims, bringing out a chair from the table. Varka props the boy on the chair, shoving a mirror in front of him. She puts the mirror in Caraluna's hand, closing it around the handle. "Hold it tight— yes, just like that. In front of your face, so I can see." Caraluna feels something pulling against the back of his head, and he jerks it back. He yelps in pain. Something winds through the tangled locks of his black hair. "Goodness... Your hair is so shaggy! Where were you before?" she scolds. The boy pays no mind, and stares at himself in the mirror.

He can see himself now... What he looks like.. A human boy, possibly a child. His long, black hair falls over his pale face. Between those strands of black hair are a pair of two icy, cold eyes. At the top of his head are antlers that bear melting snow. Some of the flakes dot the top of his head. As he stares at his reflection, he opens his mouth wide. There is a pair of two sharp canines, sharp enough to dig into a human's skin. Behind him is a pair of violet eyes and platinum-blonde hair, moving about and tending to his hair.

"Just who were you, to deserve to be walking out in a snowstorm like that...?" Varka says with sympathy. She combs out the last of the tangled locks of hair, and brushes just a bit more just for extra measure.

"I'm..." Caraluna mutters.

"Oh, who am I kidding. You probably don't have a name, either." She pats his back, finishing up the last few strands. "That's alright, because you're going to be a part of this family now!" The girl grins, resting her hands on his shoulder and looking at the reflection in the mirror. Her eyes sparkle with excitement. "Look at you, hair's all neat now. Now, the next thing is that you get dressed up!"

A few minutes later, and Caraluna is now dressed in a white shirt with suspenders wearing shoes that clop too loud when he steps and itchy socks that reach up to his knees. All these clothes feel unfamiliar and uncomfortable to him. It rubs against his skin, raising his hairs and erecting goosebumps on his arms and legs. A bead of sweat trickles down his face as Varka studies him closely. "These are my brother, Aleksei's clothes, so they might feel a little too big for you."

It's not that... These 'clothes' are way too uncomfortable for me! Caraluna suffers in silence.

She scratches her chin and raises an eyebrow. "Hmm... Now that I've taken you into my home.. What should we call you? Andrei Romanov.. No... Ivan Romanov? No." Varka ponders about this for a while, pacing around the room in a circle. A lightbulb clicks in her head, and her face lights up. "I've got it! Your name will be Nikola Romanov! Welcome to the family, Nikola!"

"N-Nikola..?" Caraluna utters out in surprise. He tries to say something, but he is shut up as Varka pounces on him and envelopes him into a bear hug. "I-Insufferable..!" he cries out as he gets squeezed by this lady. Fortunately, the embrace doesn't last long as she lets go and walks towards the window. She pushes the curtains aside, revealing the sight that is of the town of Kirsk. People bustle about, stepping on the snow that once fell from the skies. The sun shines ever so brightly in the blue sky. Outside, there is a banner that reads, 'Merry Christmas.'

"It's going to be Christmas soon, Nikola. So, I'm going to wrap you up as a Christmas present for my siblings! It's definitely going to surprise them a lot." Caraluna can hear a chuckle come from the girl, even though her back is turned against him.

He stares in disbelief. "Wh-what's Christmas..? And, what do you mean, 'wrap me up'?"

Varka snickers as she turns around to face the boy. "Exactly what I said. Also, you've never heard of Christmas before?! Such a hermit.. I guess it can't hurt to tell another peer."

She explains what Christmas is to Caraluna, now Nikola, and the day goes on. Another day passes, and time inches closer to December 25. There's only just three days left.