Chapter Nine: Behind Closed Doors

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the last couple of chapters!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Merlin struggled to move from his spot on his bed, his blinds were shut so the sun wouldn't pool in, and the world around him was still. He knew he'd have to get up soon to perform his duties as Arthur's servant but he just couldn't. He couldn't muster up the energy to face the day let alone face Arthur. The person responsible for these heavy feelings in him. He sighed and shut his eyes hoping to fall back to sleep.

A soft tapping at his door caused his eyes to flutter open. He groaned softly and pushed himself out of bed. He made his way around the darkness in his room and opened the door to see Gwen standing outside his room with a steaming mug and a small basket of biscuits.

"May I come in?" She smiled softly and Merlin knew exactly why she had come.

"You may." He stepped to the side and moved to open his blinds.

As he drew back the curtains sunlight pooled into his room illuminating almost every inch of the space. It was a perfect, deep golden light that flooded the room and gave Merlin a small burst of energy. He shuffled a bit to pick up any stray clothes on the floor suddenly feeling embarrassed about his current state.

"How're you feeling?" Gwen shut the door behind herself and watched Merlin with careful eyes.

"I just woke up." He lied and Gwen nodded though she didn't look to convinced.

She stepped deeper into his room and handed him the warm mug. He mumbled a soft thank you and took a seat on an old wooden chair near his desk. She sat on his bed and watched him carefully. He took a sip of the drink and realized she had made him his favorite tea. She placed the biscuits on his desk and he let out a sigh.

"Before you start-" Merlin began.

"I haven't even said anything." Gwen bit back a smile but Merlin knew better.

"Gwen, I know why you're here." Merlin shook his head.

"Well, why am I here?" She raised an eyebrow.

Merlin felt his face flush with a bright blush but he maintained eye contact. She watched him intently waiting for him to start talking. His hands started to sweat and he felt unnecessarily warm.

"To cheer me up." Was all he said.

"You're not wrong," she watched him and he nodded, "I just wanted to make sure you're not trapped in your room wallowing."

"Wallowing." Merlin repeated that bitter word.

It made his stomach feel sour but he swallowed hard and watched as she grabbed one of the biscuits out of the basket. She grabbed a second and passed it to him. He took it and immediately took a bite out of it. It was sweet and sugary and almost made him forget his mood. Almost.

"We heard about Arthur." She admitted, "I thought you might have heard about him first."

"Heard about what?" Merlin felt his heart sink to his stomach.

"That he is to be married to the princess by the the Month of Dawn." She spoke carefully and Merlin felt as though his world was crumbling in front of him.

"What?" Merlin lowered his cup and Gwen's face immediately flooded with guilt, "birthing season?"

"I thought you already knew!" She looked at him with wide eyes, "I am so sorry, Merlin."

"It's okay." He shook his head, "why are you apologizing?"

"Because I should not have been the one to tell you." She pinched the bridge of her nose, "you've been in your chambers all day, I thought you were upset because you already knew."