Chapter 41: A Dead Man's Tales

Author's Note: Before I start this chapter, I want to start off apologizing for taking so long to bring you this. There are actually no words to express how sorry I am and how glad this story is still so popular despite my upsetting update schedule. At first it was the evil bought of writer's block, then stuff began piling up (both work and personal), but now that the newest season of MDZS is finished (I hope at least) I can get a better idea on how often I will post. 

Anyway, I'll stop rambling excuses and let you enjoy this latest testament on how much I love writing for you! 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Meifeng continued to delve inside the paperman she had created to sneak around the Lanling Jin sect without actually having to do so herself, Wangji kept a vigilant watch over every facial expression, gesture, and movement she made in case something during her investigation went wrong. He had in fact done the same thing when she had worked tirelessly to bring Wen Ning's mind back from the dead... literally; she had almost no self-preservation when it came to the welfare of others she cared for, going as far as to place herself in harm's way without any regard to the consequences she would face. It is for this exact reason that Wangji placed himself by her side as a guard to forcefully pull her back into reality, if necessary, why he had stayed by her side when all of his clansmen and people he knew had told him to abandon the woman.

Someone had to watch her back and make sure she didn't do something stupid enough that could potentially kill her. Remaining a silent guard was all he would do until she asked more from him, and that was alright with him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back with Meifeng, she studied the decapitated head and saw that it was truly Nie Mingjue that had been covered in a seal that would prevent the rest of its body to find the last piece it needed. She could also begin to feel the effects the head rolling on her; if Wei Meifeng were using her corporal body, a defense line to the soul, resentful energy definitely couldn't touch her if she didn't want it to. At the moment, however, she was possessing a flimsy piece of paper, which significantly impaired her defensive abilities. Not only was she close to the head, but Nie Mingjue's resentful energy was also unusually strong, and Meifeng was sensing herself being affected within just a moment of inattention to her mind, not having been in contact with such an overwhelming presence in years.

Feeling a sensation worm its way over her consciousness, she felt her eyes shut as if trying to ease a growing migraine, but when she opened them, she saw a different scene play out in her mind.

A beheaded man who wore a robe with the clan motif of flames and the sun was lying on the ground as Wei Meifeng watched 'herself' sheath the executioner's saber and heard a low voice coming out of said mouth, "Go get the head. Hang it up for those Wen-dogs to see." Someone answered from behind and did as the voice had commanded. Just as Wei Meifeng watched the decapitated head roll into view to see the face, she realized who the beheaded man was: it was Wen Ruohan's oldest son, Wen Xu, who had died before his father had fallen in battle at Nie Mingjue's hand.

Said man then kicked the corpse at his feet to the side, one hand comfortably on his sword as he looked around him at countless other casualties that wore a mixture of Wen and Nie Clan robes, as well as bodies from a third party which didn't wear a uniform. The scent of blood choked the air in its fumes, but Mingjue didn't seem to care as he searched the bloody battlefield for any Wen that might still be alive and simply wounded. Given the chance to react into action at the sound of a roof tile shifting from the side of a house, he hacked his way through a front door only to find a frightened mother and daughter that hung onto each other.