Chapter 16 : Time Immemorial - Part 9 : Slowly Sinking

Under the moon's pale moonlight, a boat belonging to the Jiang clan leader left under the cover of night to 'tend to clan leader business' after fighting all day with his wife that left him mentally drained. Why did they have to be like this when things had somewhat settled with Meifeng and Lan Wangji's new relationship? The younger Jade brother of the Lan clan was a good person who would do his clan proud as he became a distinguished Cultivator, as well as a good man who Fengmian knew would keep Meifeng happy when they ever were to marry.

So why was the woman always so hard to please?

Heaven knew he still carried an amount of love for her, as he always had, yet their life together had been tense from the moment both knew of their families wishing to marry them and create a stronger tie between the two clans. Had that simply been it? Fengmian knew his previous relationship with Meifeng's mother, thus Meifeng herself, had also created a friction that was undeniable.

Looking down at the green jade ornament he had given to Ziyuan not too long ago, a heavy sigh leaving his lips at the ironic undertone the broken item ultimately represented. Shutting his eyes to the water's edge, Fengmian slipped the hair pin into the folds of his robes and spoke to an awaiting clansmen on his order. "Let's go." As the man bowed politely to his leader, orders were shouted and Lotus Pier disappeared from view into the dense fog, not able to see an armada of Wen boats closing in on his home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meifeng had never felt so emotionally and physically drained in her whole life compared to this moment now; not only had she watched her only home burn under the ruthless nature of the Wen clan, but all of her friends in Jiang had been killed alongside Jiang Fengmian and his wife. She knew it had to be worse for Jiang Cheng, who lay barely mobile under a small awning that barely kept out the unforgiving rain as he relived the fact to becoming an orphan with no place to return to on the same day.

Lotus Pier of Yunmeng now belonged to the Wen all because of the fact the Jiang clan would not turn it over to them as a base of operations to take control of the rest of the lands.

Granted, Madam Ziyuan had also slapped the girl sent as the Wen clan's proxy messenger who had previously been the maid of Lady Wen, but that act of defiance had been the last Meifeng had seen of the woman before she and Cheng were forcefully shoved into a boat and told to stay alive.

Well, her exact words had been for Meifeng to keep Cheng alive as the next leader of Yunmeng Jiang, but somehow she had felt the words had been directed to her too.

Riding all night in that little boat for four hours, they had come to a small village where Meifeng had dragged Cheng's near catatonic body to the driest place she could find and remain safely hidden for now. She had seen wanted posters when they had come into the port of her, Jiang Cheng, and Yanli for 'disobedience' to the Wen clan. The terrible anger Meifeng had felt seeing this burned inside her to tear down those flyers, along with the men who had put them up, but now wasn't the time for losing her head now.

Burdened still with the fresh memory of fire and the unmoving bodies of her family, she knew she had to keep her promise to make sure the heir of Yunmeng Jiang stayed safe in her care. She could only thank the heavens at that moment that Yanli hadn't been there as well, spending time with her fiancée's family.

Meifeng honestly didn't think she would've had to take care of her too.

Knowing they would need food and supplies before they left the place, Meifeng disguised herself with a veiled hat as she went into the market for those things, only to come back finding her brother gone.

Tracking him down to Lotus Cove the next day, Meifeng found him the next day in a disgruntled-looking building hurt, hot with a high fever, and without his Golden Core. There was no need for an explanation as to what had happened to it other than being shattered knowing Wen Chao had a Core Crusher working for him. Thankfully, just as Meifeng was mentally prepared to fight dozens of Wen clansmen to get Jiang Cheng out of there, Wen Ning brought them to his sister who was a healer and could tend to Cheng's wounds.

THE YILING MATRIARCHजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें