Chapter 11: Premonition of Fate (هاجس القدر)

Something stirred within the coldest grasps of the continent; a change so extraordinary that, at first, it was overlooked as an error, a blip in the otherwise blemishless perfection. There had been no need to be concerned, for mistakes such as these were often easy to remedy; a simple reboot and recharge and the problem would be gone.

It was nearly forty-eight hours later before someone realized that this blip was much greater than the ones they'd watched over for the past thousand years, and definitely could not be an error in the system.

Which meant someone out there was using a miraculous illegally.

The entire situation brought about many problems that now needed to be addressed. The greatest and most obvious being; how had a miraculous been located in the first place? There were not many left in the world to find. The few that remained were scattered, hiding in places where no one would ever think to go looking for them--such as the Amazon rainforest. The most obvious solution was that the activated miraculous had come from the Chinese Miraclebox; the one taken by a previous Guardian-In-Training; Fu, before he had burnt down the temple and the Guardians had been forced to flee to their outposts on each continent. But yet, each kwami brought about a specific feeling to themselves and to those around them upon using their powers, and this did not feel like a Chinese kwami.

This felt...

...older.

Much older. Like...something that had been long lost to both time and age. And since they knew the exact location of the ladybug and black cat kwami, that narrowed down their search to the third and fourth most powerful of all beings; those of wisdom and vengeance, the hippogriff and the dragon.

Which was impossible since Lorr and Trekk had been missing for millennia: ever since the conquistadors arrived in South America during the late 16th century. Their miraculouses had not only been lost in the midst of a fearsome fight, but there had been no records of their holders up until this point.

No one knew what had happened to the two kwami after that.

So, why then, after all these years, could he suddenly sense their presence once more? Where were they? And the more important question; who was it that had their miraculous and would be stupid enough to activate them?

"Celestial Guardian...Su-Han, sir? Uh...you may want to take a look at this."

He opened one eye with a scowl, glaring down at the young man standing uncomfortably below his meditation ledge. "Rikard," he said slowly, purposefully, uncrossing his legs and folding his hands as he stood to a more natural position--much unlike the intimidating defensive posture he so often selected to address his pupils with. "What is it?"

"It's the miraculouses of wisdom and vengeance," Rikard explained breathlessly as his kwami circled his head nervously. "We've found them."

Su-Han dropped from his perch and landed on the stone tile before the boy, quieter than a mouse, and Rikard gulped.

"Where?" the Guardian demanded.

"Uhm...uh...P-paris!" the student blurted. "F-france! W-we're still trying to p-pinpoint their exact location, but right now we know enough to guess--"

Su-Han wasn't listening anymore. In two quick steps, he was breezing past the boy, hands folded neatly behind his back as he pondered. "Alert our allies in the European sector," he ordered without so much as a glance over his shoulder. "We have a breach in our defenses. Summon those who guard the Miracleboxes and the High Guardians at their designated outposts. I want them here now, I want to know how we missed this, and I want these new holders--whoever they might be--captured and detained for questioning! The very act of wearing a miraculous without Guild consent is against our code and anyone found doing so will be severely punished! That goes for everyone!"