Epilogue: Heavy Is the Head (ثقيل الرأس)

3 days later...

The last light of day rolled across the rooftops and washed into the distant skyscrapers. The nighttime reflection of a still-less city coiled across a pair of golden boots as heavy footsteps echoed off the noiseless skylights and a caped figure descended from a towering chimney, catching the ears and the eyes of the relaxed group of females as they spread out across the assorted gardens to wait.

"Griffon," Louve was the first to reach him, reaching out and taking his arm, tugging him gently back toward her. He paused and spun to face her, the tension flooding out from his heart into his hands as she took them in her own, smiling reassuringly at his death grip. "Breathe. It's going to be okay, I promise."

Nicholas nodded, swallowing back the vile of fear in his throat, and forced the smile through mountains of fear and uncertainty. "I wish I could be as sure about that as you," he mumbled, lowering his eyes, too ashamed to show her the doubt he knew lingered there. "I just...so much of this was my fault, you know? Milo took everything from me and there was nothing I could do to stop him. I wasn't strong enough."

The wolf's smile never faltered. "He didn't get everything," she corrected. "You have your miraculous. Lorr is still with you. And you have us." She gestured to the group of girls sitting on the edge of the building, talking loudly amongst themselves and laughing at Caniley's weird charades. He recognized Mkango amongst the group, as well as a few of the younger heroes Caniley had recruited to help in the battle. Though they hadn't ultimately been needed, both she and Nicholas had agreed that it would be too risky to revoke their miraculouses now that they knew so much.

Nicholas just wasn't sure Su-Han was going to feel the same.

The tight feeling in his gut grew. What would happen to the girls if the Celestial Guardian denied his request? He didn't even know most of their identities, though Caniley assured him they could be trusted (furthermore, he didn't know who she was either, so that wasn't really encouraging).

"Nicholas."

"Yeah?" He drew his gaze back to her once more, finding her bi-colored focus firmly on his face.

"We're not going to leave you, no matter what your boss says."

"Well, that is a very brave statement, young lady."

Louve went pale and her eyes widened at the low rumble echoing from the ledge behind them. Nicholas stiffened, twisting on his heels and letting his fingers lace into hers as he glared up firmly at the newest arrival. At the same moment, the girls flew to their feet with shrieks of surprise, Mkango thrusting her way to the front and activating her powers to defend them.

The cloaked figure stood above them, his face hidden behind a thick shroud of shadow. He seemed to be assessing them.

This was not Su-Han.

"Is that him?" Louve hissed, already reaching for her weapon and pulling away from Nicholas, stepping into a back-stance, already ready to fight should the need arise.

"No," Nicholas muttered, drawing his daggers and moving to fight. "That's not him. Who are you?" he barked challengingly at the new arrival. "And what do you want?"

The man chuckled. "There is no need to be so suspicious, Mr. Lahiffe. I come as a friend, not as a foe. The Celestial Guardian was regrettably unable to attend tonight's meeting. I was sent in his place."

They did not back down. In fact, Mkango seemed even more inclined to attack now, the metal knuckles of her gloves shimmering tauntingly in the fading light.