Chapter 14: A Cry to the Night (صرخة إلى الليل)

"Ala'mu!" Nicholas screamed, bursting through the door, nearly upsetting both himself and his kwami as his hat almost went flying through the air a second time. Lorr shrieked but Nicholas ignored him as the door slammed shut. Layla's gaze shot up from the TV which Nicholas now noticed was repeating scenes from the crash, as well as the flight number.

156.

His father's flight.

"Mom," he repeated, reverting to French as he slowed to approach the couch. "Please tell me that's not--"

But Layla just shook her head, tears glistening in her eyes, phone already to her ear. Nicholas silently sunk down beside her, stunned into silence. Lorr chittered something he suspected was intended to be reassuring but he couldn't hear him through the roaring terror crushing his lungs, making it hard for him to inhale.

What happened? The words flashed across the bottom of the screen; the details of the incident as well as the time (4:30 that morning), the location (just over Portugal), and the current suspected cause of the crash (unknown at this time, believed to possibly be a mechanical malfunction).

Master, I do not think it would be wise to continue observing this, Lorr tried to discourage as the barrage continue and Nicholas found himself unable to tear his eyes from the screen, as we do not know for sure that your father was amongst them.

Nicholas wanted to believe him, but one look from his mother as the phone went once more to voicemail was all it took to shatter those hopes. Ali wasn't picking up. He wasn't picking up and Nicholas involuntarily moved to yank out his own phone and try, though he knew it would be of no help and two phones trying to call at the same time would be pointless.

Lorr! he cried desperately as Layla finally gave up the fight and sat back in her chair, visibly pale and shaking and looking ready to throw up. Nicholas couldn't say he blamed her. Tell me you know what's going on! Tell me that Ab is okay and that this is just a horrible nightmare and any minute now we will wake up and Nino will still be in my arms and this insanity will never have happened!

I am sorry, Master, Lorr whispered, and truly, he sounded it. But I know very little of your world's methods of transportation. This is not a dream and I cannot sense your father's presence. He does not appear to have remained in the city.

Oh, what do you know anyway? Nicholas snapped back, standing up in a hurry, shocking both his mother and his kwami. Red surged through his brain and he gritted his teeth, trying to contain his emotions and cap the brimming anger pulsing through his veins. You're just the stupid kwami of wisdom, right? It's not like you claim to know everything about everything, is it? It's not like it's your job.

Nicholas, I think you need to take a step back and give yourself time to--

No! Nicholas yelled furiously, cutting the bird off, missing the squeak of fear from the hippogriff. No more telling me what to do! No more giving me your little speeches about 'calming down' and 'taking it slow'. My father is out there and I don't even know if he is dead or alive! I thought you were supposed to know! I thought you were supposed to help me!

I am trying to help you! Lorr protested as Nicholas backed away from the television once again and spun to storm up the stairs to his room, not catching his mother's tearful gaze as he did, mind already set on his next task at hand: finding who or what had done this in the first place and who was going to pay. You are not thinking clearly! The grief is clouding your judgment! You are going to do something you will regret! We should be focusing on those people chasing us and how they could know who you are and what to do if they come back!