Chapter III

"Bruce?"

Bruce's eyes opened, and his head slowly looked up to the light above him.

There was a shadow descending upon him. For a moment, he was just as afraid as he was mere moments ago.

Then, the shadow began to fade into something more visible. It wasn't one of those winged attackers. It was a human. But not just any human.

It took him a moment to process the human's face as that of his father.

"It's okay," Thomas Wayne reassured, reaching a hand down to Bruce. "It's alright."

Instant reassurance washed over Bruce, and he raised a hand upwards, grasping his father's.

Tears streamed from his eyes, and he tried everything he could to embrace him, though his body failed to function, still paralyzed with fear. Thomas carefully reached down with both hands, lifting Bruce into his arms, and holding him tight as he was pulled out from the well.

As soon as he came to the surface, the light was almost blinding. He could hear voices, and though he recognized them, it wasn't until the light faded that he recognized the people they belonged to.

He recognized the elderly face of the family butler, Alfred Pennyworth. A man he viewed as the uncle he never had, though at the time he didn't truly view it that way.

The second face he recognized was that of Martha Wayne, his mother. A sweet, innocent woman he loved so deeply, just as he did his father.

As soon as he was lifted out of the well, it was Martha who took him into her arms, cradling him like the baby she still viewed him as, while Alfred pulled Thomas out.

After checking for injuries, the only ones being the scars of the bats. The only serious injury was the bite mark on his neck, which Alfred planned on checking.

Once they checked for his injuries, they made their way back to Wayne Manor. It was a massive house; the biggest in Vale. It was an old house, built more than a hundred years ago. The decorations were updated for its current inhabitants, but it was still an old house. Bruce remembered Weiss commenting on how odd it looked when she first arrived.

That was when they had first met. Back then, Bruce thought she was a weird girl, as every young boy did when it came to girls. It was her who'd made him lose that mindset, and it was her voice that broke him out of his paralyzed state.

"Is he going to be okay?" she asked.

Bruce looked over at her as his mother stopped, and their blue eyes locked as his parents stopped to talk to her.

"He'll be alright," Martha reassured, petting his hair to the best of her ability while holding him with both arms. "He's just shaken up."

Weiss' eyes shifted to the bite mark on Bruce's neck, and he shifted into a position in his mother's arms where she couldn't see it.

"I'm so sorry for the inconvenience," Weiss' sister, Winter Schnee, said. "Are you sure he isn't in need of medical attention?"

"No," Thomas smiled at her, shaking his head. "He just had a big fall." He looked down to Bruce. "And why do we fall, Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up."

As his parents spoke to Winter, Bruce reached a hand out to Weiss. She looked to his hand in confusion. It took a moment for her mind to piece together that he was holding something. She reached to his hand, taking the object he was holding.