Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The butterflies flutter hard against her stomach as she leads him upstairs to her room. Her mom is not back from work yet and probably wouldn't be for another half an hour to an hour. That means it's just her and Dane all alone. In her room.

"So this is my room," she lamely introduces entering it, "just leave your stuff wherever."

She thinks her room is pretty typical. The basic furniture and clutter. It's still painted a very light pink from when she was a baby. A bookshelf that also has some ceramic decorations, string fairy lights over the headboard of her bed, a succulent plant on her bedside table (the only plant she's managed to keep alive) and some candles. Her work table is piled with papers, the chair for it has clothes dumped on it rendering them both useless for the function they were intended for. But Emery likes working on her bed so much better.

Dane takes a turn around the room, leaving his bag at the foot of her bed and smiling at her.
"It's more girly than I expected," he concludes.
"What?" she splutters, "what were you expecting?"
He shrugs and glances to the pictures of her mom and her on their various little vacations she has tacked up on the wall.
"I don't know actually. But it's cute."

When he grins at her, she drops it. The silence stretches as he takes a seat on the bed and looks to her.
"Do you want to play some music?" he asks.
She nods and goes to speakers connecting up to allow the music to play softly through the room. It's such a silly small thing but she hopes her music taste is okay for him.

Luckily she hears him mouth the words mindlessly and close his eyes, laying back on the bed. Emery takes in the sight of him before pushing her laptop to the side and mirroring him.

"Dane," she calls.
"Yeah?" he muses, lazily opening his eyes and turning to her.
"You should probably kiss me now before my mom gets back."

He smiles wider, "then you should probably be the one to kiss me. I need the plausible deniability in case we get busted."

She giggles and starts to argue that point but it is a very good one. Plus, the more time spent arguing, the less time they have to actually make out.

****************

One of his hands are up her shirt, the other around the low of her back as she lies on top of him, her own hands on his bare torso as they kiss. She wiggles her lower body against his, feeling the arousal through the denim. Her fingers inch towards the waistband of his jeans, getting them unbuttoned and unzipped before he pulls back and freezes.
Immediately Emery pulls back her fingers, looking at him with concern.
"What is it?" she fearfully whispers.
"Your mom's home."
She goes to ask him how he can tell when from downstairs, she faintly hears the front door open.

Emery looks at Dane. Dane looks at Emery and they both rush to look somewhat presentable. She rolls off him and readjusts her blouse and bra while he does his jeans back up and smooths his hair. They both grab a book from their respective bags as well as a notepad and pen. By the time the footsteps creek up the stairs, they're both looking like model students.

Tory knocks on the door before peeking around. Two teenagers lie on the bed, suspiciously engrossed in their textbooks. They live in a co-ed society and her daughter goes to a co-ed school. Emery had classmates work on projects with her before and some have even been male. Yet with Dane her instincts flare and something tells her this isn't just about working on school work. Still, she's not going to start grilling her daughter. Emery's been given all the resources to make informed decisions about her own life in some areas.