Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Reliable as always, Dane is there in the morning as he promised. Since she couldn't sleep too well last night, Emery managed to be up in time to catch her mom leaving. Although Tory was in a rush, she made just enough time for Emery to give a begrudging apology and hug. One amend made, one to go.

She welcomes him in and he does so but unlike last time he lingers at the closed front door.

"Dane?" she asks nervously at his reluctance.

"We don't have much time. I overslept a little today so we should probably get going if you want to get to school early and avoid everyone."

That statement certainly makes the wrinkle between her brows smooth. So maybe her mom's words last night do have some truth to them. When he agreed to keep things on the down-low she knew he wasn't totally fine with it but she hadn't realised how uncomfortable it makes him, clearly.

"Baby," she calls winding her arms around his neck and pushing up on her tiptoes to pull him down a little. He gives a little resistance but in the end relents as his hands grip her hips.

"If the whole privacy thing bothers you so much why didn't you just say?"
His heads flinches back as he shakes his head in denial.
"It doesn't bother me. I told you, whatever you want to do is good with me. As long as we stay exclusive."
"Liar," she whispers against his lips.
"Emery-"
"Just tell me it bothers you Dane."
"I can't say that."
"You hate it, I can tell. Why can't you admit it?"
He hesitates but ultimately settles on, "I don't want to make you do something you're not ready for."
"But you'll do something that makes you unhappy?" she claps back rhetorically.

It's sweet that he cares so much of her needs and desires but she doesn't want it at the cost of his own. They should find some middle ground so he doesn't feel uncomfortable too.

"So what do you want to do?" he finally sighs.
"What do you want?"

She can see him start to roll his eyes and argue to her turning the question back on him but Emery gives him a look to let him know she's not balking.

"I want to be able to kiss you in public or hold your hand or just even touch you. I don't want to hide that we're mates or dating. I want to take you on dates and I want us to go to prom together as a couple. That's what I want."

He wants to go to prom with her? He wants to kiss her in public?

Oh God.

Her heart pounds against her ribcage as she considers what she'd be risking to say yes to all that. The whispers, the stares, the mocking. Of course it would only be worse when he dumps her. Then she'd have to endure being that girl. However...if she's lucky that might only happen at the end of high school. Then she'd actually be able to escape this tiny God forsaken town and it's gossip. She wouldn't be able to escape the pack but those would just be one off events she can harden herself for.

Fuck it.

Yeah the brighter they burn the quicker that fire will go out but at least she'll have experienced that heat. It'll be a good future warning for her never to even entertain the idea of trusting a guy again.

"Okay," she agrees.
"Okay?"
"Okay let's-let's do that."
"Baby, are you sure?"

She can hear the excitement leak in his voice no matter how much he holds it back. Despite her reservations Emery smiles.