Chapter 9

***Trigger warning-> mention/talk of grooming and SA***

Chapter 9

He's quiet as they shower. Not quiet in the normal, zen way she's feeling after that hot session but more in a contemplative way. She's not sure what's up with that but it's too soon for her to start freaking out. Nothing's ruining her high for now. Stepping out of the stream of warm water, she grabs a towel and asks if she can borrow some of his clothes. He gives her a nod and tips his head up to the water. Clearly, he's in the mood to brood.

Emery puts back on her t-shirt and riffles through Dane's drawers for a pair of sweatpants and a hoodie. Towel drying her hair, she stuffs her clothes into her bag. Going commando isn't so natural for her but Em's comfier in Dane's clothes than the tiny scraps of fabric she'd put herself in for the sake of vanity. She's returning to the bedroom when Dane's tugging on a similar pair of sweatpants in a different colour.

"Dane?" she calls as he closes the drawer.
"Yeah?"
"Are you okay?"

Her question is meant with silence. Moving towards him, hand on his back, she asks again.
"I will be. Just got some stuff to work out in my head."
What the hell does that mean? Her confusion must be apparent because when he shifts around to face her, his hand goes to her cheek.

"Not about you, Honey Bee. Not about us either baby. Just me. I need some time to think."
That confusion twists into worry. Did something happen? Did she break him somehow?

"Dane..."
"Em please. Not tonight, baby."

*****

There's a call of her name from the dimly lit lounge. Emery follows it from the foyer and is hit with the sight of her mom in lounge clothes reading a book, wine on the table. Alcohol in general doesn't do all that much for werewolves but with enough a small buzz can be created.

Em's heard rumours from the pack meets that there is a special type of berry or plant that can be distilled to give the same inhibition as alcohol does for humans, but she's never seen or tried it herself.

"You have a good time, honey?" asks her mother with a soft smile.
Emery rounds the couch and a takes a seat next to her, bag hitting the floor as she does.
"Yeah, it was nice."
"Yeah? What did you guys get up to?"
It's not a prying or suspicious question. Her mom's just making conversation. Emery snuggles up next to her with her head resting on the other woman's shoulder.
"He made me dinner and then we uh, we just a watched a movie."

There's a pause and then with amusement heavy in her tone, Tory rhetorically asks, "oh really? And did your clothes change and expand during this movie?"

Emery's head shoots up as she gasps and searches for a plausible lie.
"Ah-mom! N-no. I just...I got cold. And Dane let me borrow this."
Her mom's not exactly buying it. Em can tell when one carefully plucked eyebrow raises as does the corners of her lips.
"And your wet hair was just a magic flash storm was it?"
Busted. Totally busted.

Even after a few minutes of racking her brain she's got nothing to explain that. With a defeated sigh, Em faces the music.

"Okay you got me. We-"
"Nope," interrupts her mom with both hands up, "I was just teasing you sweetie. Unless it's something you want to talk about, you don't have to. Whatever intimate things happen between you and your boyfriend is your business and you can share as much or as little with me as you want. As long as you are safe and happy, that's all that matters to me."