Chapter 6

Chapter 6

He has doughnuts and coffee. It won't fix everything but it's a peace offering. Going home, Dane went over in his head the entire situation. He still can't figure out if he's in the right or if she is. One thing that Dane does get is that he jumped the gun. He shouldn't have been pissed off at her for asking questions. For that at least he can say he's sorry. Her feelings over him having 'dated' Charlotte? Well, he can't control that or the past. They weren't together then and she's going to have to understand that fact.

It's pretty early for him on a Saturday however he doesn't tend to see the light of mornings on a weekend. When he knocks on the door he's expecting the two women to be in the middle of brunch and in their pyjamas. However, when Tory answers, she's already dressed and ready for the day.

"Dane!" she says with surprise, taking a sip of coffee from her travel mug.
"Oh good morning Ma'am-"
"Tory, Dane. Just call me Tory," she sighs, "what are you doing here?"
She tugs on a light jacket as her keys jiggle and she struggles to balance it all.
"Yesterday Em and I-"
"Nevermind," she interrupts, sliding past him, "I've got to get going or I'll be late."
"Er okay," he murmurs with bafflement. It's way too early to be fully awake yet. Still it's her house and he has to respect her wishes.
"Is it okay if I hang out with Emery for a while?"

That certainly makes her stop and turn to him.
"Alone in the house?" she reiterates.
He nods slowly in response. Sure he could lie but what's the point? Her mom is either going to have to trust them or not. Tory in response raises an eyebrow and pauses for a moment in silence.

She supposes she could police them but really if they want to they'd find a way. She certainly had. And what sort of message does that then send to her daughter? Though this is all very quick and she barely knows Dane. Not only that but those kind of impulse, in the heat of the moment things are done so easily at such a young age. The consequences of such actions are only vaguely in the back of their minds.

"That's asking for a lot of trust Dane," she points out.
"I know Ma'am but I'm a trustworthy guy. I would never disrespect you in your own house."

Tory shakes her head in disagreement. It's not about disrespect. As long as they're both aware of the risks they take and try to minimise them then she's fine with them making their own decisions about their bodies. The part she's weary of is that her daughter has very little experience and well, she hates to say it, but a boy like Dane can charm anyone into something they're perhaps not quite ready for.

"Dane, it's not that," she explains in a low voice, "you're Emery's first boyfriend so you can imagine she's under some pressure to keep up with you. That might make her easy to convince into things she's maybe not so sure about. Do you understand what I'm saying?"

Dane hadn't even thought of that. He doesn't blame Emery's mom for thinking he'd be anything but a gentleman and decent person being however he does know the reputation football players can have. And ultimately Tory's only looking out for her daughter. He's glad that's what she's more concerned about though the accusation does sting a little.

"Tory I would never...It's always consensual and it always will be. I promise."

"Okay, well, good. I guess, you're both adults but still, take things slow and don't make the same mistakes I did. Not that I think Emery is a mistake but the timing was not great. It was very challenging for me and I wasn't ready. I don't want you both going through that. Okay?"

He's still catching up with her rambling when she prompts him to nod and agree.

"Great. Glad we had this talk. I'm sure we'll have another longer, similar one in the future but I really do have to get going, so let me lock up after you."

Dane barely says bye to her before he's ushered in the house and she locks up the front door, rushing off to work.
Right. He blinks in shock for a second, gathering her bearings before moving to their kitchen. Dumping the coffee and doughnuts on the counter, he listens for sounds of life in the house. There's not much at all. Looks like his sleeping beauty hasn't awoken yet.

After being restless all night, ranting to her online friends and then going to bed frustrated, Emery's just glad it's the weekend so she can sleep in. Vaguely from somewhere in her consciousness she can hear the front door close. She snuggles deeper into the comforter cocooning her, warmth coating her. A few moments later, it intensifies accompanied by a slight pressure like someone is hugging her from behind. Emery pushes back into the ghost who surprisingly feels solid. What the hell?