Chapter 5

An unknown man watched Y/N from afar, taking care not to make too much noise. He studied their dreamy face, silently pondering what they could be thinking about. But, knowing them, it was probably something adorable, just like them. He'd been watching them for weeks– nay, well over two months. Every movement, every word, everything. Honestly, he felt a bit silly about it but he kept a journal of everything he found out about Y/N, whether it be through reading their journal or listening to conversations Y/N had with parents or friends. Sometimes, when they were asleep, he'd creep in on their parents, so long as the two were talking about Y/N. He'd learned quite a lot, actually.

Truly, he loved Y/N. The man was snapped out of his own dreamy gaze by the sound of Y/N shifting. They were getting up now. He hoped they weren't going home just yet, as it was obviously kinda difficult to watch someone from a 2nd story window. To his delight, they just moved closer to the water, placing their hands in the cold river, a soft smile on their face. It made him smile to see them happy.

His heart rate picked up as he had an idea. Taking a deep breath, he stepped from the shadows and approached the younger person. Their attention snapped to him as he stepped on a twig, snapping under his weight. "Ah! Bruno! What're you doing here? You scared me." They laughed, placing a hand over their chest. Bruno smiled softly. "Just on a walk, Y/N. Fancy seeing you here, I suppose. May I?" He motioned to the spot next to them. They nod. "Go right ahead."

He sat next to them, watching the river flow. "What brings you out here?" He inquired, cocking an eyebrow and glancing at them. "Weird dream. Freaked me out so I came out here to calm myself," they explained. He nodded as he listened. "I always do when I have a bad dream."
He knew that. He was the one that gave them the dream. "You?" They turned their attention from the water to Bruno, who averted his gaze, as he'd been half-staring at them as they spoke. He loved Y/N's voice.

"Night is the only time I can get away from prying questions." He chuckled. "Every time I leave the house it's always: 'Bruno, what's tomorrow's weather gonna be?' or 'Bruno, can you tell me if my new dress will look good on me?'" He was half telling the truth. While he did go on walks occasionally, this specific one was to see Y/N. "Your shawl looks nice. Did your mother make it?" He asked, half-tilting his head. Y/N nodded and subconsciously wrapped it closer against their form. "It's nice and warm, too." Bruno tried to look at what detail he could in the dark. "I'm jealous; mi ruana is thin. Amo a mi madre, pero sometimes she chooses looks over functionality." He chuckled, a sad look coming across his face. Y/N placed a comforting hand atop his and a blush crept onto his cheeks. Their hands are so warm...

"I can have my mamá make you one if you'd like," They offered before unwrapping theirs and nudging his arm. "For now, take mine. It's chilly tonight."

He refused for a moment, raising a hand in front of himself to prevent their gift. "No, no, I couldn't. Wouldn't you get cold?" he tried to reason, though secretly he did partially hope they'd still give it to him. "I insist," they assured with a smile, hesitating for a moment before placing the shawl around his shoulders, almost immediately warming him up. "Thank you."

"I should start heading back home," Y/N said, standing up. Bruno stood with them. "I'll tell my mamá to get started on a shawl for you in the morning." They smiled softly before starting off back to their house. As he watched them walk off, he held a corner of the shawl up to his face and took a deep inhale, savoring their comforting scent. He let out a shaky breath as he exhaled before starting to head back to his own home. He snuck in through the front door, careful not to make any noise. He made his way up to his room, starting up the stairs to where his vision cave and bed were. Since he'd spent the past over 10 years walking these stairs, it took him no time at all to reach the peak of the steps, making his way to his room just past the entrance to the vision cave. Entering, the first thing he did was throw himself atop his bed, a twin size mattress with no frame and forest green sheets topped with wool blankets and multiple pillows that sort of made a nest on his bed.