Chapter 8

You spend the rest of your shift going around and taking care of the few customers that came in and out, occasionally glancing at Bruno's table, expecting to see him gone with his payment set neatly on the edge of the table, but every time you did, he was still there. A bit odd...but maybe he was just really hungry? You went over, serving him every once in a while, but by the time it came for you to close the restaurante, you went over to ask him to leave. It didn't go exactly as planned.

"Oy, Bruno," You start as you stop at his table, he looks at you with a hum as he stacked an ever growing pile of dishes. "I'm closing up shop, got any last requests before I boot you out onto the curb?" You ask with a slight laugh. He gives you a weary smile and stands up. "Lo siento, Y/N! I didn't mean to intrude. I've just been...soooo hungry today, I don't know why." he explained before grabbing his stomach and frowning to emphasize his point. Well, he was thinner than a pencil, maybe it wouldn't hurt to invite him for dinner? Mamá was making pot roast tonight, if you weren't mistaken. You were sure an extra mouth to feed tonight wouldn't be too big of a deal; after all, you always had too many leftovers when she made big meals like this.

"Well...would you like to stay for dinner?" You ask. He seemed to light up at the suggestion. "Then I'd kick you to the curb." You two laugh together. He nodded, hands going back to his sides. "I think I'd like that– only if it's not an intrusion!" He added quickly. You give a soft smile and assure him it wouldn't be. "I'll go ask mamá to be sure though, alright?" You ask as you start making your way to the back. He nods and sits back down at his table, twiddling his fingers anxiously.

You make your way to the back and up the stairs where your mother was already in the kitchen cooking. "Ma?" You call from the doorway. She turns and hums before quickly returning her attention to a pot of...something. Probably veggies. "Can Bruno stay over for dinner?" You ask politely, heart pounding in your chest, praying she'd say yes. The grin on her face when you asked was almost frightening. 

"Oooo! I haven't heard you ask that since you were small, asking your friends to stay over for dinner after a day of playing in the plaza!" She says with excitement, almost bouncing like a giddy child. "Of course he can stay! Just warn him, I won't let him leave until he's gotten some meat on those bones! Oh, poor niño is so skinny." She sighs before ushering you away from the kitchen.

With a grin on your face and a pep in your step, you make your way back downstairs and into the lobby, where Bruno was waiting. As soon as he heard your footsteps, he perked up and smiled. He noticed your posture and excited gait. "Did she say yes?" He asked and you nodded. He stood up, clapping his hands together. "Bueno! Do you need help bringing these dishes into the back?" He asked. "I'd appreciate that," 

You started picking up some dishes and he picked up the others. "Thank you, Bruno." You lead him to the back where you deposit the dishes in the large sink, Bruno following suit. "Follow me, I wanna give you a tour of the apartment!" You say, bringing him upstairs, making sure he didn't fall down the stairs – something you were guilty of on more than one occasion.

You two enter the apartment and you call to your mother as you stop in the middle of the living room, "Bruno's here, don't tell any embarrassing stories, please." You could almost feel the sly grin on your mother's face, almost facepalming at your own stupidity. Regardless, she responded with a "Don't worry, I won't." You sigh but look back to Bruno, who was checking out the decorations around the center room of the apartment. "Want a formal tour?" You ask. He jumped slightly, probably not expecting your sudden speaking, but nodded. "Yes, please."

You take his hand without thinking and begin leading him around the apartment. "This is the living room, obviously. My parents spend a lot of time out here, reading and crocheting." You begin, pointing at the couch and the large bookcase across from it, only being separated by a coffee table. "The kitchen is over there, but if we even set foot in it, I think mamá would annihilate us." you laugh and he gives a soft smile.