~Light~

(Image credit: YasHeRka_lol)

Light.

There was a light.

Coming from somewhere.

"So it was this dream again", she thought.

The same pink orb from all the other dreams hovered down in front of her face, blinding her vision.

And then the face. That milky white face that she could never make out, no matter how much she focused.

And then it was over, her hands reaching out into nothing as she looked down into an endless void.

Luz Noceda opened her eyes to a small furry creature opening her door, the creaking of the old hinges waking her up as it always did.

"Luz, are you awake?" The creature's voice peeped.
Sitting up, she ran her fingers through her dark brown hair and gave the creature a smile.

"I'm up, King. Thanks."

King scurried over to her, plopping down on the edge of her bed.

Luz looked at him, fidgeting with her hands, her sleepless eyes speaking louder than words.

His face fell, assuming what happened, and reached a small hand out to her arm. 

"That dream again?"

"Yeah."

He shook his head, reading her face.

"Hey, look at the half dim bright side! Your birthday is today, you know what that means!"

Luz looked back up at King, smiling at his efforts.

"Yeah. It'll be a good day today. Thanks, King."

Without another word, he got back up and scampered out.

"My birthday is today." Luz repeated, feeling her senses lighten.

Today would mark her 16th birthday, when she'd finally meet her soulmate. Every young witch, when they each turned 16, would get to meet their supposed one true love. There would be an escort to Belos' castle, a spell that looks into your soul and everything. It was a big deal, especially considering it would be the only exciting thing to happen in the Boiling Isles for a while.

Luz wanted it to go well, as she had never had a soulmate before. Even since she was a kid, romance had always taken her mind into a storm.

Like maybe there was someone out there for her, as there was for everyone else.

It gave her hope. (keep in mind that Luz has a hella positive attitude towards everything which is a common trait in the show for her too)

She sat in her bed for another minute before deciding to get up and get dressed.

She heads downstairs, fully waking up, the realization of what today was hitting her.

Luz got excited.

She ran the rest of the way downstairs, jumping off the final step and almost skidding into Eda, who was still half awake and in her robe.

"Luz!" Eda jumped.

"You scared me half to death."

Luz laughed awkwardly. "Sorry Eda, I'm just really excited."

Eda frowned and rubbed her eyes again.

"Excited for what, exactly?"

Luz smiled tightly. She decided to forgive Eda for her bad memory, as she had just woken up and didn't feel like talking until she had her apple blood.