~Neglect~

a/n - stupidheads I am so sorry oh my golly gee goodness. it has been so long since we last posted that is actually insane wtf

Luz woke up to a pair of arms wrapped around her chest. She slowly opened her eyes, the light from the window blinding her for just a moment, before she rolled over and came faced to face with Amity. Her green hair was so messy, falling over her shoulders and onto her forehead, her lips slightly parted. She looked so peaceful. Luz laid there and watched her for a moment, a slow, unconscious smile spreading across her face.

That was until everything from last night came rushing back to her.

She felt her heart rate spike, the feeling of Amity's lips still lingering on hers, making her stomach flip and her legs go numb.

It finally feels like I have a soulmate.

Luz slowly pried Amity's arms off of her waist, her hands gently falling to her pillow.

God she's so beautiful.

She gazed at Amity for another moment, then got up and left the attic.

After she had taken a shower and put a new pair of clothes on, Luz went back to the attic, expecting to see Amity still there, but instead all she saw was an empty sleeping bag.

Huh. Maybe she went downstairs.

Luz went back down the attic stairs, scouring the living room as she did, until her foot caught on one of the stairs, almost sending her falling right into King.

"Hey, watch it!" King yelped, shielding his head with his claws.

"Sorry, King. I didn't see you there."

"Yeah, yeah. But hey, while you're here...I saw a girl with green hair wandering around the kitchen. I'm really hoping either you or Eda knows who that is. "

So she did go downstairs.

"Oh, yeah. That's my soulmate." Luz said in a hushed tone. She saw King's eyebrows raise.

"Oh."

"Speaking of my soulmate, I should probably go check on her. Sorry again for running into you!"

Luz smiled awkwardly, not waiting for a response and moving past him, walking down the last flight of stairs. She rounded the corner, making her way into the kitchen, and there she saw Amity, sitting in a chair, holding a mug with her hands.

"There you are." Luz said, causing Amity to immediately look up from her mug. They made eye contact, Luz giving her a smile, but Amity didn't return it and looked away. Luz gave her a confused look, slightly hurt by how cold she was being.

"Good morning kiddo." Luz heard Eda say, and looked over to where she was standing by the counter.

"Good morning, Eda!"

"You two sleep okay?" Eda asked, leaning against the counter and looking back and forth between Amity and Luz.

"..."

Neither of them said anything. Luz looked over at Amity, who was holding the mug with such a firm grip that her knuckles were turning white, her face a deep shade of pink.

"We slept fine, thank you." Amity muttered.

"What she said. We slept well."

"Well, glad to hear it. Luz somehow manages to sleep in that old attic every single night!" Eda said with a chuckle. "Genuinely don't know how she does it."

"..."

They both remained silent.

Eda looked down to the ground for a moment, trying to avoid eye contact due to the awkward nature of the situation at hand. But she quickly composed herself and snapped her eyes back up to Luz and she gave her a smile.

"Help yourself to some food, okay? I'll be in the living room if you need anything."

Luz nodded, watching Eda leave the kitchen. Then she looked back over at Amity. Her grip was still tightened on the mug and she still wouldn't look at Luz. Luz sighed softly, making her way over to Amity and sitting in the chair across from her.

"Are you okay?" Luz asked her quietly.

"I'm fine." Amity replied, a slightly bitter tone in her voice.

"Amity. Something's bothering you." Luz insisted, gently reaching her hand out to touch Amity's, but Amity yanked her hands back and flinched. Luz felt her heart ache.

"..." Amity went an even harsher pink shade.

"...Is this...About what happened last night?" Luz whispered, sitting back in her chair.

"I..." Amity stammered. "...Maybe."

Luz stiffened slightly. She had been worried about this. She noticed that Amity had a tendency to avoid, so much so that it had become a problem. Luz knew it would be difficult, near impossible to be soulmates if Amity couldn't talk about important things with her.

"Amity, come on. You can talk to me."

Amity pursed her lips slightly, glancing at Luz, and then looking back down at the ground.

"I know."

Luz waited patiently for Amity to say something.

"I'm not ashamed, per say..."

Amity hesitated.

"It just feels so strange. I can't be the only one who finds it odd that just a day ago we were in a fight...and then last night happened out of the blue?" Amity said softly. She set her mug down on the counter next to her, putting her hands together and staring at her lap.

"I want to know what's going on. And what's going to happen."

Luz watched in silence as Amity slowly shook her head. She curled her hands together, holding her own hand in a firm grip. She finally raised her head, meeting Luz's eyes, taking Luz by surprise.

"I want to be able to love you." Amity spoke quietly, practically choking over her sentence. Her words made Luz's ears and face flush red, her eyes widening slightly at the fact that Amity wanted to love her. Amity went pale, realizing what she had said, and immediately avoided Luz's eyes again.

"Amity-"

"I don't want to talk about it anymore."

"Look, I get it, I want to love you too-"

Amity went red, shaking her head violently. "I said I don't want to talk about it anymore, Luz, this conversation is over." Amity raised her voice, standing up and brushing past Luz and towards the door. Luz shot up from her seat, trying to go after her, but Amity already swung open the door.

"Thanks for letting me stay over."

She closed the door in Luz's face, leaving the girl alone and just as confused as she had started out.