~Forced~

"It's unlocked!"

Luz said, relieved to finally be able to leave.

She heard Amity breathe a sigh of relief, pushing past Luz and opening the door, standing in the doorway. Luz awkwardly looked at her hands, glancing back up at Amity.

"So, um. We're free to go."

"Right."

Luz hesitantly leaned out of the doorway, peeking both ways down the hall in search of Edrick or Emira, but they weren't anywhere in sight. Luz looked back at Amity, who was still refusing to look at her.

"You left your staff by the door. My mother is still likely at the table. You'll have to quietly move past her. If all fails, there is an unlocked window in the west side of the house. You could sneak out." Amity said firmly.

"Oh! Oh. Yeah, thanks. I had forgotten about Owlbert." Luz responded with a chuckle, fidgeting with her hands.

"Owl..bert?" Amity questioned, finally looking at Luz.

"That's the name of my staff. Well, not MY staff, it's Eda's, but-"

Amity cut Luz off. "I think you should go."

"..." Luz closed her mouth, turning slightly red in embarrassment and nodding.

Amity held the door open for her as she stepped out into the hallway and headed back for the front door.

"Goodnight." Amity said quietly.

"Night." Luz responded, looking at the ground as she continued forwards.

Luz had managed to grab Owlbert and head out the front door without Odalia noticing, much to her luck.

"I did not want to climb through a window." Luz thought with a small grumble, Owlbert taking her through the woods and back on the trail to the owl house.

Though the two girls had agreed to try and make an effort to be soulmates, or at least keep up the appearance of being soulmates, Luz still couldn't get Amity's words out of her head.

"There's no way that I will ever recognize you as my soulmate!"

The words stung.

Amity most certainly meant what she said, and that fact only made Luz feel worse.

Luz didn't feel any better as she made her way through the Owl House, tiredly dropping owlbert by the door and sluggishly walking up the stairs.

Luz fell backwards on her sleeping bag, staring up at the ceiling. She felt so tired. But Amity's words were replaying in her head. Luz rolled over onto her side, closing her eyes and curling herself as tight as possible. Tears pricked at her eyes. Why did Amity hate her so much?

Go to sleep.

Amity said she'd try. Luz just really hoped she meant it.

Go to sleep.

Luz would try. She wanted to be happy.

Go to sleep.

Luz slowly opened her eyes to the feeling of light shining on her face, forcing her eyes to stay open. She sat up, reaching over next to her and picking up her phone.

The time said 2:30 PM

Luz rubbed her eyes, positive she was still half asleep, but the time on her phone remained the same.

Did I sleep through the day??

----------------------------------------------------