Chapter nine: Bitter Lime, unfriendly Crime

Silas

October brought a chilly breeze, and the leaves change from fresh green to shades of orange and red. Edinburgh is quite beautiful at this time of the month. I prefer it over the snowy winter days.

"So, have you guys heard about the Halloween party this Saturday?" Cash asks, walking around my living room with a plate of chips in his hands.

James and I nod. There were flyers posted for a party at a nearby venue by one of the rich students at Edinburgh University. Cash held a party freshman year, and none of us have any memory from that night. It is a blessing we aren't fathers of unknown children. That should give the gist of the highs of a drunken night.

"Are we going?" Cash asks, "I feel this will be a nice welcome back into the Uni life, Silas,"

"I have no plans. James?" we turn our heads to him.

"Yeah, sure. But I do want to say, Silas, you know students from other universities will be there. That could include Milan,"

I grimace at her name and say, "Fuck. I completely forgot,"

"Wait. Why does that matter?" Cash intervenes, "Just because she might be there does not mean you can't have a good time. Besides, you might get a chick to spend time with," he bounces his brows towards me.

I scoff, "It's not about getting a girl, Cash. I just don't want to deal with her drama or her attempt at manipulation. It's going to ruin the night,"

James puts a hand on my shoulder, "I mean, it's a big venue. It's not hard to avoid her among a crowd. We will keep watch and make sure you have fun,"

I smile and agree. I shouldn't allow my past to hinder my present. Milan is not someone I should worry about. We both made our decisions in life, and now it is over.

Footsteps come down the stairway, and we all glance at Lisa, who must have woken up from her nap.

"I see you brought your delinquent friend... and James," she says, waving sweetly at James. He waves back with a charming smile.

"Hey, I am right here," Cash whines.

Lisa constantly teases Cash, mainly because she sees him as a reason why I will never get out of my bad habits. She is a strong believer in 'your friends define who you are'. But when you catch her on a good day, you can tell she is joking around.

"How come you guys are here? Is the pub closed or something?" she asks, looking at the bottle of beers opened on the table.

"No, we just wanted to watch something. Grams is at a dinner, by the way. She left a note for you," I respond, pointing towards the dining room.

I lied. The pub is closed for renovation after someone had broken into it and stole money. The front windows were shattered in and out of the place, and glass was everywhere. Cash muffles his laughter when Lisa comes back into the living. She eyes him, annoyed, and reached for his plate of chips.

"Oi," Cash smacks her hand away, "Get your own,"

"I bought them, so they are my own," she argues, reaching again.

Amid their bickering the doorbell rings. I rise and head to the front door, wondering why grandmother doesn't have the keys.

But when I open the door, I am surprised to see Adelaide standing there.

"Hey," she greets me with a warm smile.

"Hi," I say, gripping the handle.

I haven't seen her in weeks, at least not outside of class. I heard she has been working and doesn't come for dinner as much as she used to. I never really had the time to go see her at her job either.