Et Tu?

Silas

"Have you seen James lately?" I asked Cash as he walks out his bedroom.

He shakes his head, "He has been busy with whatever project he is working on this time. You know how he gets,"

James and I spoke a few times after the party a few weeks ago, but he became strangely distant afterwards. I did give him a hard time about the way things had ended with Adelaide, and I have a feeling it may be the reason he hasn't been around lately. In all honesty, Lisa had been pestering me about the matter much more than Adelaide had; I had to say something before she involved herself.

I haven't spoken to Adelaide much since the last time we saw each other, which was two weeks and three days ago. We had spoken for quite a bit after the night of the party, having coffee after classes and staying a bit after dinner. Then she just disappeared. I haven't seen much of her at home, and she always comes to class with a minute remaining. I think she does that to avoid sitting next to me like usual.

I stare at my phone, her digits pulled up and no text drafted.
I realize we have yet to even text each other a thing. We were always together to have anything to talk about afterward. I begin to type a 'hello' but erase it, afraid it was too formal and weird. I am not good at starting conversations. I just want to know how she is doing.

I click my phone off and push it deep into my pockets.

I am staying late in the art studio tonight, so I have been for the past two weeks. The Art exhibit is right around the corner, and my professor is on my arse about creating a my final piece for the presentation. He had enjoyed the one I had made with Adelaide, asking me insightful questions about the process and the meaning behind it. I was getting ready to ask Adelaide to help me come up with a new idea before she went incognito.

I wanted to show her a certain place I love; someplace she might also love too.

My watch shows me that I have about fifteen minutes to get to the studio. But I know that Adelaide works at the café at this time. I also know I will not make it back on time to get the keys to the studio from my professor if I go see her.

There are other days, I suppose.

I get into my car and navigate my way out of the parking lot. If I had gone to the studio now, it would just be hours of no progress. If I go to Adelaide and speak with her, it would be some sort of progress.

I arrive in a shorter time than I thought, and the café seems to be partially empty. I hope she is not too busy to chat for a bit. The little bell rings when I enter, announcing my entrance. I scan the place, but the only eyes I meet are the cashier's.

"Abigail," I say, faking a smile, "Good to see you, love,"

She makes a disgusted face at my comment, "Innit? What are you doing here, Silas?"

I pretend to glance over the menu and think about what I want. in reality, I am taking small glimpses behind her to see if Adelaide is there.

Abigail sighs, "What are you really here for, Silas? You're wasting my time."

Lovely customer service.

"What time does Adelaide work?" I ask, defeated.

Her face changes from disgust to confusion, "Are you mocking me or are you serious?"

She takes my lack of response as me being serious, because I do not need know what she is on about. "Silas, she doesn't work her anymore. She put in her notice two weeks ago,"