121 | Eating Out

MAX REMOVES HIS GLOVES before looking back at his reflection in the mirror. It's been two weeks since the battle with Jokers and Cigarettes, and surprisingly enough, nothing peculiar happened after that, other than the fact that snow has now started to fall.

     For the following days, Max was just a regular student. He went to class like normal and then he would go to their company during the weekend. He'd even eat lunch with his protectors, as well as Cj who was now a part of their group.

     Max wanted to know what happened between Cj and Krist, but looking at how they are now, it's almost self-explanatory. Whatever happened between them, Max is just relieved that the two are now friends again, and that's all that matters.

     "Master Leigh, dinner is ready," Étienne says from outside his bedroom.

     Max stares at himself in the mirror for one last time. He was about to grab hold of his necklace, but he moves his hand and touches his brooches instead.

     After that, he starts removing his uniform before finally changing into more comfortable clothes. After a couple of minutes, he heads out and welcomes his loyal butler who has been waiting for him.

     "Let's go," Max says as he walks past Étienne so he could go downstairs. But just before he could even take a step, Marcus suddenly appears behind him immediately draping his arm around his little brother's shoulder.

     "Aww, you already changed out of your winter uniform? You looked really adorable in it. I wasn't able to see," Marcus says, making Max push his arm away.

     "What am I, five? And I've been wearing this for almost a week now. When are you going to shut up about it," Max complains as he starts walking down the stairs, Marcus and Étienne walking behind him.

     "If you just let me take a picture then I'd shut up about it."

     "You're fucking weird Marcus. How about you screw yourself?" Max fires back, making Marcus pout.

     "Why didn't you stop growing? You were cuter when you were younger. Can't you just be my little brother forever?" Marcus says as they arrive downstairs, and all Max could do was laugh.

     J.S High and the other houses have three separate uniforms. Their regular uniform with the long coat, then their winter uniform, which looks like their regular uniform but it has fur in it to protect them from the cold, and then a pair of white gloves. Then the third one is their PE uniform which they are also allowed to wear during the summer season.

     "Exams are next week. Have you studied for it?" Marcus then asks.

     "I've read my notes, but thankfully we don't have classes on Monday and Tuesday so we could still study. Ari suggested that we study together so we're going video call each other," Max explains, surprising not only Marcus but Étienne as well.

     "Wow, you're going to study with friends now? That's new."

     When the two arrived at the dining room, Max stops in an instant when he sees someone sitting in the middle of the table. It was none other than his father, Denzel. But what was more shocking was the woman sitting on his left. It was his now fiancé, Edith Thompson.

     Max's eyes were wide from shock, especially Marcus who couldn't believe what he was seeing. Even Étienne was surprised because he didn't know that Denzel and Edith would be there either.

     "W-What...what's going on?" Marcus asks as he approaches Denzel.

     Denzel takes a deep breath and grabs hold of Edith's hand. "Max...Marcus...sit down first. I have something important to tell you."