Chapter Twelve

"I do hope you intended to say goodbye to me

"I do hope you intended to say goodbye to me." Eliza was standing outside my door when I opened it. Her hands were linked together and she wore a deep, wine colored red dress that was dangerously well-fitted to her form.

It was evening, and a mere few hours before Ser Dalton, Linen, and I were set to leave for Chalke. At least a four month journey, I was told. I had hoped its length would provide me some solace for what I would have to do that night.

She'd never come to my home without my personal escort. It wasn't an easy trek for a lady, let alone the Queen, and with all the guidelines in place, I could only gather that she had gone through great lengths to get here, to see me. I had to steel myself against the flattery that brought on.

In her defense... I blew her off for our weekly rendezvous that was due that afternoon. Given the complete bashing I had taken from His Majesty's news of a child, and the argument with my uncle, I felt spent. Too drained to visit her; to pretend. Too entitled to the hours in solitary here. I used them to construct the words I might say to this woman... To end our relationship with as much respect to her as I could, but I... I'd lost track of time, brooding. And when the hour had grown too late, I resorted to packing my things, and I accepted I would have to leave her a note.

It was lying open on the table, a clue not lost on her. She noticed it, and the quill next to it, right away. "Is this for me?" she said.

Eliza's face paled, and she took a deep breath, heels snapping by me as she reached for it despite my protest.

"My Dear Eliza," she began, her jaw locked. "Ah, yes. It would appear so." She frowned, skimming over the remaining words. "What is this? This is what you give to me? 'Sorry I must leave you this letter?'" she read from it.

I tore it from her hands and crumpled the page, chucking it into the trash. "What are you doing here?" I managed.

"What am I doing here, he asks!" She crossed her arms. "So what? You get promoted and that's it? You're done with me? Got what you want? Now you'll vanish in the night and maybe die before you say 'farewell, Eliza, have a great life,' to me? You think the King didn't tell me where you were going? You thought you'd just... sneak away from me?"

"What are you talking about, you mad woman!" I spat. "You're the one with secrets!"

Instantly, her hands flew to her belly and she gasped.

"Yes, His Majesty was so kind enough to share that one with me. So don't," I gestured passively. "Don't complain about letters. At least I was going to tell you."

Suddenly the whole room's mood shifted, like a ship crashing into the sea. "I..." She breathed. "I don't..."

"Know what to say?" I nodded. "Sounds eerily familiar."

"It was an accident," she whispered. "I am just as careful with him as I am with you!"

"You're sleeping with him!" I said. I spun on my heel, back into the bedchamber. She followed, watching me, the embodiment of guilt as I gathered my clothes.