Chapter Twenty-One

Svana sighed

Svana sighed. "I cannot believe my father knew. I don't believe it."

"I told you when you were courting Willem," I shrugged. "It is impossible to carry out an affair without someone finding out. Two people cannot keep a secret unless one of them is dead."

"What did my mother say about it?"

"...I didn't tell Eliza about the conversation."

"But you just–!"

"I didn't know how. I didn't think it benefitted her to share that burden. Instead, I omitted some of the... maybe more important details of the meeting."

"Good Lord. All of this could have been much simpler if you'd take time to speak to each other."

"I told her that I had met with the King about equipment, and I told her that the conversation had bought us a week together. I didn't correct her when she assumed the extension was granted due to that. And then I insisted, because I was no longer worried of getting caught, that we spend as much time as humanly possible in each other's company. I could feel the slow creep of Death pressing on the back of my mind, but I thought it was meant for me. That I was the one soon to perish from this world. I was, after all, approaching battle and sleeping with my King's wife, both dangerous things without his propensity of violence."

"Yes, one of your finer displays of critical thinking, I think," she groaned.

"Where is your mind right now?" Eliza purred, touching my jaw from across the tub

"Where is your mind right now?" Eliza purred, touching my jaw from across the tub. The water sploshed between us as she came closer, in between my legs to kiss my chin. She bit her lip. "It should be here with me."

I blinked slowly; considering, slipping deeper into the basin to bring her over me. "My mind is always on you, Your Majesty."

She rolled her eyes, but her hand found me beneath the soap and steam. She stroked me, loving and intent. "When you come back," she sang. "Let's go somewhere. Just a trip."

"Where would you like to go?" I asked. I shut my eyes, letting out a small moan as she worked.

"Somewhere nice. Somewhere warm. I'm tired of this snow."