8. Birthday Boy

A/N: My art (again) yes its messy I know.

✎﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

Jamie sat on the edge of his bed, watching the camcorder[1] intently.

A younger Jamie was sitting at the head of the table, staring down at the candles on the cake as they flickered. His sister stood to his left on her tippy-toes, and his mother stood at his right, both of them singing "Happy Birthday" to him.

After they finished, he blew out the candles, a toothy grin on his face. A male voice spoke from behind the camera.

"Whatcha wish for, bud?"

Jamie grimaced at the voice and skipped to the next video.

In this one, Jamie was dressed in a bright red Spiderman suit. Next to him was his sister in a batman costume, her curly dark hair popping out from the sides of its mask. Their mother was wearing a black dress and black cat ears, with dark blue whisker lines drawn on her face with eyeliner. The voice behind the camera spoke up again.

"Say 'Trick or Treat!'"

"Trick or treat!" They all responded.

Jamie once again skipped to the next video.

Now the family was sitting around the living room, unwrapping gifts under the warm light of a christmas tree.

"What did Santa bring you, Em?" The man with the camera asked.

"Stickers!!!" The girl squealed with joy, a couple of the shiny stickers already on her face and shirt.

"Here!" She said, placing a doggy sticker on his fist.

The man chuckled. Of course Emmy would be more excited about $5 stickers than all the rest of her presents.

"Jamie, what did you get?"

"A video arcade!!!" Jamie responded, fiddling with a wire connecting the console to the TV.

"What do we say?"

"Thank you Santa!" Jamie and his sister said right before the video ended.

The next one was pointed up into the night sky as colorful fireworks burst and crackled.

"Happy new year! Welcome to 1980, kids!" The voice again said, turning the camera toward Jamie. The boy was hugging Emmy, who had her knees to her chest and tears in her eyes.

"What's wrong with your sister?"

"She's scared of the fireworks...they're really loud."

The video abruptly ended, and Jamie immediately noticed how much older he was in the next one.

"3, 2, 1, go!" Emmy shouted from behind the camera, pointing the lens at Jamie. At her signal, Jamie grabbed onto a nearby vine and swung on it, his feet just barely above a creek.

Right, now I remember, Jamie thought to himself.

That was the day they moved to Badgerview. When his mom was packing the car, Jamie took Emmy out into the woods one last time. They both hated that they had to leave, but they had no other choice. They couldn't keep the house without their father's paycheck.

"Kids, come on we have to go!" His mother's voice could be heard shouting.

The video clicked off, and the camcorder didn't play another one. Now that Jamie was no longer focused on the camera, he remembered why he had gotten it out in the first place. He was making room to hide Afton's clothes in his closet and got distracted.