14. Surety in Uncertainty

Tossing relentlessly from side to side, after a lot of struggle he managed to open his eyes, swollen from heavy sleep, he managed to keep them open after heavy fight. Pushing away the thin hospital bed sheet, he looked over the room to find out that lots of medical equipment about which he knew none is inserted into him.

"Hey don't pull that out, it hurts" hearing a voice, he managed to turn to his left.

"Hello I am Aayukta Kulkarni, and you are Ajay Kumar right?" she flashed her charming smile, the smile Dr.Viaan calls infectious, the smile she wishes to spread to the whole vicinity before the dangerous disease takes her away.

He looked at her, rather curiously. Tubes attached to needles dipped inside her body, pumping liquids from transparent pouches making their way to her veins, was enough for him to understand she too must be battling with something hard, but what he couldn't understand is what is there to smile so much? They are in a hospital room dammit, not any wedding... Oops but did he ever smile at any wedding??

"Will you stop grinning ear to ear?" he hissed.

Furrowing her brows Aayukta looked at him, she couldn't stop but could only see Manish in him. She has gone through all the reports of Ajay Kumar and what not has he taken from Cocaine to LCD, deathly cocktails, every worse thing was inside his body yet he is affected with something curable, all he needs is better treatment and if he passes second stage a liver transplant.

"Didn't I say? Don't pull that tube with grey cap out, your pulse will stop, and soon you might die" she gingerly put playing with the partition of the curtain.

"Excuse me??" he snorted.

"Being angry won't help in your case. You need to maintain calm and composure. Or else Doctor Viaan would never like you" she added.

"What is there with his liking? I am throwing bucks at him and he needs to attend his fucking job" Ajay shrugged.

And Aayukta mentally noted how many times he did use the F word. She already heard him hurl abuses at the Kannadiga nurse, who couldn't understand his curses luckily. Doctor Viaan despised him for being a spoilt brat but Aayukta wanted to know why someone choose to spoil their own life.

Had she been gifted like them, she would be completed her studies, accomplishing her goals.

"Aayu.." hearing her mother sternly alert her not just Aayukta, but Ajay too looked up.

Walking towards her bed, Mamata closed the curtain. Ajay felt like cursing her, but somehow he backed off from doing so.

"He is a pretty worse person, with all the bad habits. Don't talk to him, he might give you a disease" Mamata chided.

"Aayi, his disease is not contagious and the fact is my body contains more drugs though I never touched any life-altering drug anytime" Ajay keenly heard what Aayukta said.

"Still... don't waste your time talking to him. He drinks, he takes drugs yet he has a chance to live and here my daughter..." Mamata silently wept.

"Aayi, he can hear us"

"I don't care," Mamata said angrily.

"Who cares" Ajay rolled his eyes.

"Morning" Viaan's charming greeting got an equally excited greeting from Aayukta and a passive look from Ajay.

"I am Doctor Viaan, the unfortunate one to treat you and you are the fortunate one who still has a chance of survival, even after drugging yourself to death"

Ajay's jaw touched the floor seeing a doctor speak with no pity, Viaan's words conveyed how much he despises to treat him and Ajay felt immensely angry as he could see Aayukta and her mother staring at him with wide eyes.