Omake ✧ [The First Date]

A/N: it's 4am and I had no intention of ever writing Dazai and [y/n]'s first date. But it's Valentine's Day and I thought why not. It's unedited, and possibly not completely cannon to the fic, but the vibe is still there. So enjoy until I can get the next chapter out XO

     The color red overpowered every other presence around you in an enormous accumulation of warmth and festivities. Roses and hearts were plastered on every wall, every entrance to every building. You felt as if you were in an endless sea of pinks, reds, yellows and whites.
     It was Valentine's Day. And unbeknownst to you, Yokohama held a small festival in the inner city for the occasion. It was an attraction for couples, a place mostly to take pictures, and eat sweets together with a lover or a friend.
     At the present moment, you were alone. You sat in a coffee shop, wishing to get away from all the chaos outside, and though you didn't care about your relationship status or the holiday in general, the oppressive, in-your-face nature of the festival was a bit much. Being surrounded by couples who all looked at you with pity surely didn't help. If it weren't for those glances and side comments you would have completely minded your own business, not caring about them in the slightest. But now, feeling watched, you only felt better by keeping your focus at the wall.
     All you wanted was your coffee to arrive. It didn't matter what else was going on.

     It didn't matter that you were single. You had the feeling ever since you were a child that you would be. A person completely incapable of touching anyone else, incapable of the most fundamental human interaction just simply wouldn't be able to connect with others. You accepted that as a fact.
     And so, you were unbothered by your isolation.

     Your coffee arrived, and relieved, you blew off the steam from the top and took a sip. The rich blend burned against your tongue in an almost satisfying way, and after a moment, you felt comfortable enough to take off your coat and relax there for a bit.
     You shifted from wall watching, to people watching.

     A young couple walked past hand in hand. Then an older couple, married, entered the store and sat together by the window. They seemed happy. You smiled softly, then looked down to your drink.
     Your hands remained fixed around the mug of hot liquid, letting its warmth sink into your skin as the feeling slowly made its way up your arms in a tingling sensation. Was this similar to the warmth of someone else? Maybe it was more intense. A cup of coffee and a person surely weren't the same temperature. But, if you ever had the desire to imagine that they were, you surely could.

     'How silly of me.' You thought, and shook your head, feeling a little embarrassed. But soon you heard the faint jingle of the front bell, and you immediately brought your attention to the door again.

Another person had walked in, alone. Like you, he looked almost fatigued walking into the shop. It was as if he too had come across the small place and entered in hopes to escape the lively festival outside. This shop was the only one you could find on a street not so busy compared to the rest. For people like him and you, it must have been the perfect location. An oasis.
The male was somewhat tall, and young, somewhere around your age. You watched him for a moment like you had watched the other guests, wondering what he was doing, until briefly, your eyes met.
Or at least, you caught one of his eyes. The other seemed to be covered in bandages for some reason.
Instinctively you glanced away, hoping it looked more like an accident than like you staring. For a few minutes you were left unbothered, and so for a moment, you felt like your gesture had worked.

But then something shocked you.
The sound of a chair moving caused your eyes to dart back to the place in front of you.
     It was the boy. He had set the chair aside, not sitting just yet.