Chapter 3: the chosen one

Chaeyoung has her face buried in books when her phone first beeps. She's too busy to pick up - her history test is in two days, and she hasn't actually picked up a book since the beginning of the semester, so Chaeyoung understands that she's in deep shit and needs to concentrate as much as she can if she actually wants to pass. But her phone keeps ringing, and her knee keeps bouncing up and down because she can't actually focus at all, and she doesn't know how Dahyun had done in tryouts and ugh, fuck it.

chaeyoung minaj: what are you blowing up my phone for

thing 1 (dahyun): I GOT INTO THE SQUAD

Chaeyoung almost gasps.

thing 2 (chewie): Holy shit!!!! Really????

chaeyoung minaj: NO WAY

thing 1 (dahyun): YES WAY

thing 2 (chewie): OMG OMG OMG

She tries to type as fast as she can, history book forgotten on her desk.

chaeyoung minaj: tell us everything!!!

thing 1 (dahyun): let's make a threeway call

thing 2 (chewie): I'll start it

As soon as her phone starts ringing, Chaeyoung gets up from her chair to pace around the room, barely containing her excitement.

"Oh my God!" Tzuyu exclaims as she picked up the call. "I can't -"

Chaeyoung just shakes her head as Tzuyu keeps freaking out on the other end of the call.

"This is so crazy."

"I'm a freaking cheerleader, what the actual hell -"

Dahyun starts retelling how her tryout went; her interesting song choice that has Chaeng facepalming herself in frustration; the way both Sana and Momo had been really nice to her and the details that Momo had given her for when she starts the following week. Chaeyoung is feeling crazily accomplished - her plan had worked perfectly. Now Sana only needs to work her magic and Dahyun would have a girlfriend in no time.

"I can't believe it!" Tzuyu screeches. "Chaeyoung, we're best friends with a cheerleader, oh God."

"She's gonna be an F-list celebrity now," Chaeng jokes, giggling.

Now it's Tzuyu's turn to gasp in realization. "Does this mean Dahyun is the chosen one?"

At no point of their youth had any of them ever been popular (sure, there was a brief moment in time (sixth grade to be exact) in which Tzuyu was semi-known around school for being taller than most boys in her class, but that was short-lived because Dahyun and Chaeyoung started wearing shoes with platforms so that everyone would stop making fun of her and the thing was quickly blown over) the three of them have always been outcasts -- but they always joked about that one day; the one where one of them would actually become popular by some act of magic, and that person would win the title of The Chosen One.

Meaning, they would bring all the juicy gossip to the others. Chaeyoung supposes that it could actually be her now that she is in a super-secret club with the two most popular girls in school, but she did promise not to say anything.

"Oh God, you're right!" Chaeyoung giggles again, excited about the new material with which she could tease her best friend with. "You're gonna have to sit and have lunch with the cheerleaders now 'cause you're one of them. You're like, totally gonna be popular, and like, totally, and so fetch -"

"That's so immature," Dahyun huffs. "But yes, like, totally. I already forgot what you guys' names are. Chayanne? Tsunami?"

"You're gonna be hanging out with freaking Hirai Momo," Tzuyu answers in disbelief, ignoring as Chaeyoung banters back and forth with Dahyun. "And Sana, too. And those two are best friends with Mina who is crazy rich and disgusting popular. They are going to know we actually exist besides that time we stole that teacher's lunch and got suspended for a week."