Chapter 9: the city needs you, batman

Mina is already waiting for them in the Gym when Nayeon and Chaeyoung arrive, both red-faced from the heated discussion they've just had about Tzuyu in the hallway -- still, the sight of Mina standing up and waving at her with a small smile on her lips seems enough to calm Nayeon down just slightly. The lightness she feels that morning returns to her suddenly (a bit more subdued because she's still jumpy about what had just happened), and she finds herself smiling at her (ignoring Chaeyoung's frown of confusion, she should learn to use those three brain cells of hers by now) as Mina approaches them.

"Hey," she says simply because she can't come up with anything else. Her mind kind of goes blank. Why is she so goddamn nervous?

"Hey," Mina says back, a little shy, like she used to be. Nayeon lets her mind drift to those times when she and Mina used to be friends, the shy Japanese girl who barely knew any English and who always tried to make herself smaller so as to not stand out (which is impossible by the way, because she always seems to draw everyone's eyes no matter where she goes; she's always too pretty, too mysterious).

It was a stark contrast between them really, back then and now -- Nayeon always tries to stand out, and when she laughs she laughs out loud, fully and deafening. She commands a room with her very presence; she's overbearing, sociable. She's a leader. But Mina is quiet, and tries to stay behind the scenes even though she always ends up in the spotlight. And yet she commands the room in a different way; through gentle commands, friendly smiles. The silence captivates. The aura of mystery that draws everyone in, but the mystery leaves whenever they are around each other. She yells, becomes mean, and the gentle demeanor leaves her and she becomes a hard shell. She's a lot of that these days. Nayeon supposes both of them are; They have to be.

"You're not gonna freak out?"

"Huh?" She comes back to reality with a little shake of her head. "What?"

At Nayeon's lack of response, Chaeyoung's frown depends. "You're not going to say anything?"

"About what?"

"Jeongyeon isn't here," Chaeyoung says like it's the most obvious thing in the world, gesturing at the empty Gym.

Nayeon fights the urge to roll her eyes because it's Chaeyoung and whatever Chaeyoung says annoys her. "And I care because...?"

"She's late," now she sounds completely lost. Nayeon almost makes a face at her lack of observation; she hadn't even noticed she was missing. "You can't stand when people are late. Time is precious, time is money, etc. Your famous words?"

"Oh, yeah, you're right," but Nayeon can't really find the strength in herself to actually be mad, not when Mina suddenly giggles at how weird the conversation actually is, and Nayeon feels her heart flutter a little at the sound. Ugh, so cheesy. "I'm angry. Or whatever."

"We can wait for Jeongyeon if you want, Chaeng," Mina nods towards her, but Chaeyoung quickly shakes her head.

"Nah. Let's do this, we got a lot to do," she concludes and pulls out the materials for decorations. She explains that the art club did already most of it but they should still try and help to perfect them, then adds, "I also brought materials to do garland."

They quickly begin to work on them, Chaeyoung dragging a folding table and setting everything there so they can start cutting and gluing stuff that probably doesn't look the best. Jihyo would cut off their heads if she saw how awful Nayeon's garlands are looking right now (completely deflated and sticky), and she'd be frustrated if Mina wasn't right next to her, doing her best besides at cutting pumpkin-shaped figures with the help of Chaeyoung, who is surprised at her skill with scissors. Mina laughs at the comment.