CHAPTER II

When Safe Haven was first founded, several inaugural laws were put in place and tied to the magic that protected it from the outside world. They were the Pacts, and among the first were the illegalization of murder, the prohibition of permanently leaving, and the separation of man and beast.

In accordance with the laws of GOD and Nature, humans were forbidden from having relations with animals, sentient or otherwise. Shifters were a gray area, and the founding fathers opted to set no laws in terms of their relationships with humans and beasts.

Unfortunately, while the majority of the Safe Havens' inhabitants adhere to the law, a scant few fell prey to lust for members of incompatible species. The "humanity" of the sentient animals drew the hearts of vulnerable humans, and they began to partake in their perversion under the cover of night.

Refusing to be denied access to their respective paramours, these enemies of nature formed cells in each haven. With the rise of the so-called "furry" community, rumours of their presence grew more prevalent. And now, with the barriers gone and the "age of tolerance" at hand, they have grown even bolder, to the point that our spies are claiming that they intend to join forces with the LGBT community—much to the ire of the latter.

This is the Lovers' Society. This is their great sin. This is why they must be Purged.

-

Leeson paused, glancing from Beth to Andrew with narrow eyes. "You are to be the agents of their demise," he stated. "We are you sending you out to find this man." He swiped across the hologram projection, showing a blurry image of a human Havenite man with long, disheveled hair and a messy beard. "His name is Ulfert Vill, but he goes by the moniker 'Wildlove'. He frequents the many homeless shelters scattered throughout the Capital City. Find him, and he will lead you to the Society."

"Are they dangerous?" Beth asked warily, raising a paw.

"As far as we know, they are not," Leeson responded. "But that doesn't make them any less of a threat. When you find them, report them without hesitation. Am I clear?"

"Yes, Apostle," the two Disciples replied in unison.

"Excellent. Sisters Jessica and Rebecca have your disguises ready," Leeson told them. "You are dismissed."

The Disciples stood and turned to leave the small area.

"Oh, and one more thing," Leeson called, causing the Disciples to freeze and turn back around slowly. He walked toward them with an eerie grin on his face and, placing his right paw on Andrew's left shoulder and his left on Beth's right, said, "The Devourer will be watching you two very closely. If she sees anything we would deem damning, she has orders to include you in her Purge." His grin grew as the two paled. "I do hope that won't be a problem...?"

"N-Not at all, Brother," Andrew squeaked out, sweat beading on his brow. "R-Rest assured, we—we are loyal to the doctrine of Moll F-Ferris!"

"Yes! We serve the Guiding Light, and her alone!" Beth added with what she hoped was a reassuring grin.

"Very good. Then this assignment should be quick and easy." Leeson clapped their shoulders—hard—and released them. "Now go. Their judgement awaits."

Clearly shaken by the Apostle's admonition, the two Disciples walked away faster than necessary, their faces tight with anxiety and fear.

-

"According to our intel, Mr. 'Wildlove' is planning to host a meeting of all society members in two days," Sister Jessica said as she and Rebecca handed Andrew and Beth their respective disguises. "As the Apostle has said, your mission is to discover the location of that meeting and relay it to us."