EPILOGUE

Leeson's words were muffled to Veronika's ears as he boasted about how he'd always known Andrew and Beth would fail and that they were never truly loyal to the Saved. She stared blankly in a vague direction, nodding absentmindedly while Leeson went on and on...

"AM I BORING YOU, DEVOURER?"

"Oh!" Veronika jumped, startled by Leeson's loud question, and met his gaze. "No, Apostle," she replied quickly. "I just—I haff a lot on my mind, zat's all."

Leeson narrowed his eyes, his crazy grin remaining. "Not too much, I hope," he purred. "The most important assignment in the history of the Saved is swiftly approaching, and we need your head in the game."

"Ja, Bruder. I'm sorry," Veronika apologized. "It von't happen again."

"I will hold you to that, my dear." Leeson waved a hand dismissively. "Now leave us. I believe you and Pablo missed an Undermaw on the outskirts. It nearly snatched up poor Lady Marli."

"Ja, Bruder." Veronika hurried away, barking, "Pablo! To me!"

-

"You killed them?" Sir Pablo hissed as he and Veronika prowled through the sewers again. "You really killed them? Even after everything I said?"

"Vhat vas I supposed to do?" Veronika shot back. "Protect zem? Defend zem? Zey corrupted ze law of God! Bearing His name vhile zey committed abominations!"

"I'm not disagreeing with you there," Pablo snapped. "But you should've given them a second chance! You could've kept it all a secret and—"

"And vhat, Pablo? Lied?" Veronika sneered. "Like I did for you? Nein. I vill not do zat ever again."

"Veronika. They were freaking drugged," Pablo snarled. "They had no better chance of resisting what happened than you or me."

"My primordial side—"

"You know what I mean!" Pablo shouted, stepping in front of Veronika and cutting her off. "You shouldn't have killed them! They didn't deserve it!" His voice grew desperate and broke as he went on, "They were my friends, Veronika! YOUR friends! Didn't that mean anything to you?!"

A chill ran down Veronika's spine as Pablo's words echoed Beth's final desperate bid to be spared.

"They were our family," Pablo choked out in a pitiful whisper. "Did... did you even love them?"

Veronika shook her head slowly, the glare still on her face even as a tear ran down her cheek. "More zan you know," she hissed, trembling.

Pablo's eyes widened, and he remained where he was in shock as Veronika shouldered him aside and continued to walk deeper into the sewers.