xiv. lines crossed

MAEGYA | xiv.
"WE REALLY NEED THERAPY."
LINES CROSSED

IF THERE WAS one thing Serafina Celtigar knew about Theadora Valaryen, it was that if she had her mind set on something, she would stop at nothing to achieve it

IF THERE WAS one thing Serafina Celtigar knew about Theadora Valaryen, it was that if she had her mind set on something, she would stop at nothing to achieve it. She figured it was her persistent need to be right but in most cases, she ended up with the crown on her head. Doubt was a harsh, almost treasonous word. It never stopped Serafina from questioning her.

"I wouldn't mind sticking a sword through him, Theādora. You know I like a good fight," the red-haired woman admitted in a low voice. "But you need reasonable evidence, especially after that Kamikaze thing he just pulled off. He swore fealty to you."

"I know, but I'm telling you he's after something... I just don't know what," Thea muttered. Her eyes were darting side-to-side, almost expecting to see the ripple of red fabric or the misty orb of Mysterio's suit.

Serafina chewed on her lower lip, almost fighting to restrain the words. Her gaze flickered to Daaryo, who made his emotions unknown. She would've guessed satisfied that his suspicions were corroborated. Of course, it didn't help considering he was still suspicious about Peter Parker.

"Thea, wait," Serafina urged. She stopped walking, waiting for Thea to turn around and face her. "Is this about what happened with the Elemental?"

"No," the girl scoffed. "It-it's a dimensional-specific, ultra-cosmic, sensitive, I mean come on, who really knows anything about magic? It's like science, it's kind of a gray area!"

"Is science gray area?" Daaryo questioned.

Thea scoffed unconvincingly. "A lot of it, yeah."

"There's American education for you," Serafina muttered under her breath. She looked at Thea calmly. "Look, for seventeen years, it's been my job to keep you from doing anything impulsive."

"Impulsive?" Thea's eyes narrowed.

"To people who were trained to suspect things but also live in a world where the impossible becomes real, anything is tricky to plead a case to," Sera explained. "If Beck isn't who he said he was, he will try to say something provocative."

"He already did," Thea exclaimed. She felt her wrists prickle and light pulsated in her veins. "He said Bex was a traitor in his world and conspired to kill me."

"He swore fealty to you and by that oath, he's supposed to warn you about any threats that could come your way. Would you consider any truth to his words?"

"Would you?" Thea snapped incredulously.  "Why are you acting like this? What— suddenly, you're trying to give me friendship advice? What's it been like, seventeen years? Why can't you trust me?"

"Exhibit A, you have a temper," Serafina retorted, pointing at her up and down. "And you have been known to lose it from time to time."

"When have I lost my temper?" Thea exclaimed, her voice growing higher in disbelief.