03 | Settled in

Night rolled on, making the white fluorescent lights beams seem to be brigther than what they actually were, lighting up the newly occupied apartment that smelled of vanilla and musky forest.

The short stack of card boxes laid on the wooden laminated floor of the living room, pulled apart and laid flat with little strips of tape still stuck to them.

Water ran in the sink, filling the sink of pre washed dishes with pink dish liquid spilled on them, as bubbles formed and the dishes became non existent.

Turning the water off, Imaan rewashed and re dried plate after plate, cup after cup and bowl after bowl. Hanging them on the drying rack, so she could at least make herself a bowl of cereal in the morning before school.

Her slipped slid across the shiny floors, heading for the cardboard boxes to set them outside on her back porch. The night breeze felt good across her giving her a sense of tranquility that Imaan had longed for. To get away from her mother and finally live her life.

Being re- welcomed to the her favorite scent, closing and locking the metal door behind her, the wooden floors creaked with each step into the living room that presented the woman who put it all together.

Flipping the light switch off and making sure all the windows and doors were locked, Imaan settled on the black couch pulling the grey blanket over the lower half of her body with the remote in hand playing the intro of Bates Motel.

Imaan had a fresh start to greet her in the morning.

___________
Author note: