Five

I sat there for ages, reading the same page in my textbook probably a hundred times when the clock struck seven

I sat there for ages, reading the same page in my textbook probably a hundred times when the clock struck seven. I was the only one in the library at this point, the only light being the moon shining in from the high windows and the few sporadic candles throughout the room.

Curfew was approaching but I didn't want my friends to show and me not be there.

Susan's mother owled her late that afternoon, asking her to come home for a few days and no one else decided to show up to study with me. I even made Ron the gingersnaps he begged for.

I was about to start packing my books up when the door burst open and in runs a panting, sweating Draco, clothed in his quidditch practice uniform.

He sees me sitting there and mumbles something resembling "oh thank God," before hunching over and placing his hands on his knees, trying to catch his breath. "Jesus Chri— Holy shit, I think I lost my kidney back there."

My eyebrows are nearly to my hairline as he finally catches his breath and walks over, throwing his book bag onto the table.

"What are you doing?" I ask confused as he takes out his notebooks.

"Don't get this twisted. Pansy saw you earlier and was at practice talking about how pathetic you looked sitting here all by yourself. The only one I'm going to let look pathetic during Snape's test is Potter who is too busy up Hagrid's ass to actually study." He says bluntly, flipping to a new page in his notepad. "Plus, we are partners for the second half of this damn thing so we might as well try to fucking pass— Enough questions, bird. What did you get for number seven on the homework?"

"Uhh—"

He stares at me expectantly, his icy blue eyes shouting 'just go with it.'

"Salamander blood and powdered Griffin claw increase the drinker's strength." He nods, writing it down.

"How do you create the antidote to uncommon poisons?" He asks and I pause, thinking hard. "C'mon, birdie. We learned this in third year."

"We learned this is second year at Beauxbatons, jerk!" I laugh, shaking my head. "Fire seeds, powdered Graphorn horn, billywig stings and....chizpurfle carapaces!"

"Nice!" He nods encouragingly, taking a gingersnap as he flips to another page. "These are good," he hums in satisfaction, taking another bite and I can't help but stare at his sharp features.

If he wasn't such a jerk, maybe he'd be good looking.

I almost ask him about his outburst in The Three Broomsticks today but decide against it. I wasn't going to be the one to ruin his mood.

"Thanks," I smile, happy someone was able to enjoy them. He looks up confused, eyebrows furrowed.

"You made these? How?" I noticed he spoke harshly no matter the conversation, like it was engrained in him to be rigid and stern all the time.