Seven

"I'm ready for freaking Summer!" Susan exclaims, shivering, as the wind howls outside the school walls, a sharp breeze breaking in through the open windows heading down to the dining hall

"I'm ready for freaking Summer!" Susan exclaims, shivering, as the wind howls outside the school walls, a sharp breeze breaking in through the open windows heading down to the dining hall. "I can't wait to wear my sundresses again. I'm bloody freezing all the time!"

I nod in agreement, rubbing my arms up and down with my hands to warm them. "Me too. I think I have seasonal depression. I just get sad this time of year and it bloody may be because my toes are about to fall off."

The hall is loud and cheery with Christmas trees nearly touching the tall arches of the ceiling. A spell was made so the look of snow slowly drifted from the rafters and the room was lit up with warm fires and bright, twinkling lights. The stony walls didn't look nearly as cold as the red light danced off them.

Christmas time was in the air.

And the Winter Ball was approaching closer and closer as was holiday break.

I couldn't wait to see my parents and let them know all that I had learned. They worked for the ministry and were busy most of the time but they made sure to write me weekly and kept up with most of my studies, but I kept a few stories to myself to let them know over the holiday.

"Aurora, Susan!" We hear our name being called and we both turn to see Cedric and a few other Hufflepuffs waving at us from our table.

We hurry over and take our seats to see the plates piled high with ham, turkey, roast chickens, green beans, broccoli, peas, mashed potatoes, warm, steamy rolls, and freshly baked cookies.

"I'm so hungry I could die," I sigh as I start to pile my plate up high with the delicious foods.

We all talk merrily, happy that the last tests were over and I glance up to see Draco pushing his peas around on his plate as Pansy drones on about anything and everything.

Speaking of tests, Snape let us retake it this morning and it went smoothly with little talking between us. My cheeks were flushed the whole time and Draco's lips were twisted up in the corners, hiding a smirk the entire time.

It made my stomach churn because I wasn't sure if the smirk was from him making fun of me in his mind the entire time — of how a dumb Hufflepuff fell for a Slytherin prince of all people.

After Snape passed us, I sprinted out of the room as fast as I could before Malfoy could say anything to me about my dreadful confession the other day.

"Have you gotten your dress yet, Aurora? I got my suit yesterday. I think I'll pick you up around six thirty, by the way." Cedric asks and I can't help but notice Blaise Zabini whip his head around from his table, his eyes wide in shock.

"You're going with Diggory, Goldenrod?" He whisper shouts and my eyebrows furrow in confusion as his panicked reaction.

"Yeah? Is that a problem, Zabini?" Cedric speaks before I can, looking angry at his nosy question.