Thirteen

Heavy snowflakes fell from above, the dark clouds lingering over the few acres of land my parents house was built on

Heavy snowflakes fell from above, the dark clouds lingering over the few acres of land my parents house was built on. The rolling hills and meadows once lusciously green with grass and flowers were blanketed by thick, white powder; the good snow, not the slushy, muddy kind that made your feet freeze the second you walked out into it.

I loved the beginning of winter, where everything was new and exciting, but by the end of the season, I was always ready for it to be over. Ready for change. Ready for new. Seasonal depression ran rampant in me but, for now, I was enjoying it.

It was cold, but I barely noticed it, excited to be in my happy place. My cheeks and nose were turning red as I trudged and crunched through the accumulated snowfall and I loved every second.

Draco would be having a meltdown if he saw me without a scarf or thick coat right now.

He would probably never let me outside again, telling me how irresponsible I am and shoving a beanie over my head with that adorable nose scrunch and grimace he does.

We parted ways at the last station since his chauffeur was waiting at the end for him to arrive. I was confused why he hid me behind a brick column, his eyes darting every which way before he leant down and gave me a kiss. It was long and scorching, his hands squeezing my hips and his thumbs dug into the skin above my hipbones so deliciously that I forgot all about his strange behavior.

Walking down the stone path to my parents house, I smile as the lavender colored door that my mother painted - and my father playfully told her he hated often - comes into sight. I could almost smell the chocolate chip cookies that my mother made every holiday and as I pass by the window, I catch a glimpse of my parents dancing in the kitchen.

Opening the door, a Latin love song plays in the distance and my parents laughter fills the halls as I shut the door quietly behind me. They knew I loved to walk home from the station so they didn't pick me up this morning. The walk home was always refreshing, the air crisp in my lungs. I was home and that made me very happy.

"Mama! Papa!" I call out, smiling as I hear excited gasps from the other room and quick footsteps down the hall.

"Mi amor!"

I'm tackled with kisses and tight squeezes and I let out a small squeal of surprise. "We missed you!"

I grin pulling back and looking at both my parents. They met at Hogwarts in the Hufflepuff common room twenty years ago and fell in love in an instant. My father was white and fell in love with my Latina mother, who he thought would never give him the time of day, but she did and the rest is history.

They both worked as aurors for the Ministry of Magic so I wouldn't see them sometimes for weeks on end. Being an only child, it was lonesome at times but I liked the quiet.

When they were home though, it was always exciting. Our house filled with light and love again with everyone's presence. It was warm and inviting so I always looked forward to coming back. My mother somehow knew how to make it feel like a home instead of house.