Day 2: Song-based story

Prompt: Write a love story based on your favorite romantic song.

Song: From a place of Love (Mili)
"Yes, I have been so afraid
Yes, I have been so distant
Consistently indifferent
It's hard to put that in an amicable sentence
I'm sorry
Actually, not really"

~~~

Battle calls for our goodbye

Phos never felt the breeze so cold, laying on the ground taking shallow breaths. Her body was numb to the pain of gunshot wounds, ammo from her pocket scattered to her side. She wondered if Selene, her crabby girlfriend, would break into tears first upon seeing her or scold her instead.

But the girlfriend in question was standing above her in silence. "I'm tired of fighting."

"If someone else heard that they'd get the wrong idea. It would seem like you're the one who shot me."

"I'm surprised you still have the strength to speak a full sentence in that state." Selene brushes back the strands of her hair that stuck to her face, then bent down to pick Phos up. "Bear with me."

With Phos in her arms, she carried her as they returned home, a few breaks in between. Home for them was the seventh floor of an empty building where you would occasionally find rats stuck in sinks, either a head or a bossom with a wriggling tail sticking out.

"We ran out of bandages." Selene puts Phos down on the mattress surrounded by a clutter of clothes, cans of food and drinks, some books lacking pages. She picks up a tattered shirt from the mess and uses it to cover the gunshot wound that was found on the left side of her girlfriend's stomach.

"Does it hurt?"

"I can barely feel anything."

Phos turns her head to Selene, who was too tired of the almost daily 'Phos goes to fight people with guns and is on the ground almost unconscious and injured.' After being found like that all the time it was no wonder she'd look at her injured significant other with a neutral expression.

"Are you tired of me, love?"

"You don't make time for me anymore. The only time together we have is me tending to your injuries and you reminding me you're doing this for my safety and for our relationship."

"Because I am."

"Because you don't want to face the real problem and try to get away from me and everything by joining battle like a fool!" Selene takes a deep breath, her foot tapping the ground over and over to calm herself.

"I'm sorry."

There was only silence left afterwards, and Phos' breathing growing weaker until her struggle finally came to it's end. It was a quiet passing, but not a peaceful one.

Selene left for a short while to retrieve a box that sat below pictures of the two before all went to hell. She returns to Phos, opening the box where there was a rusted silver ring, and slips it onto her deceased girlfriend's ring finger.

"I loved you, and goodbye."

E N D

"We stick together
Family is forever
Inside the train, we walked down the aisle
Furthermore
Our love opened the door
To a vehicle I'd rather not enter
Seconds later, a new future
I know that I agreed to this myself (myself, myself)
I wish it was their fault"