Chapter 7

"Okay Eric, what's your deal", Tris whispers.

Eric opens his mouth to say something, but he is quickly cut off by Tris speaking again.

"Don't even think about saying you don't know what I am talking about. Do you have feelings for her or not? Because she's from Abnegation and she's had a hard life so you can't be screwing it up more than it already is", Tris scolds.

"What? Are you talking about me and the stiff! Absolutely n-"

"Cut the crap Eric! Just tell me! Everyone with eyes can see that you like her! "

He silently yells and throws his hands up,"And that's the problem. I'm not supposed to like anyone. I'm not supposed to show any feeling to anyone. Max noticed, and he says that it is unprofessional for and initiate to be with his instructor."

I see Tris have a faint blush appear on he cheeks.

"I'm a dauntless leader. That means I should have a private life. I'm too busy."

Tris is getting angry,"Who says you can't have a private life? You're just making up lame excuses."

"Bye Tris", he says turning away from her.

"Fine just run away from your problems! You know what I think the real reason you are being rude to her all the sudden is beca-"

"Because what, huh? Because I know that she will never like me back? Because whenever I have feelings for someone they run away because they think I'm incapable of loving them, or they think I'm a ruthless person that is only capable of being an emotionless piece of shit?"

Does he really think that? I don't know what people have turned him down, but they must have not been from Erudite if they did.

"Eric I wasn't going to-"

"Yeah whatever, now you know why I am always so nervous around her. When I was in Erudite I was too scared of everyone. I stuttered and let everyone walk all over me. That's one of the reasons I joined dauntless, so I would not have to deal with this anymore. She is making me stutter again, she is making me soft again and I can't have that!"

Eric walks down a different hallway and doesn't come past me. Tris starts to walk back to the dining hall but I stop her. She makes a small yelp.

"My gosh you scared me. Did you just hear all of that?"

I nod my head.

"Well now we know why he was acting like that."

"Yeah", I reply.

"Come on let's go eat", Tris says pulling me by my arm.

I wiggle out of her grip," I'm not very hungry."

I walk away looking for a place to let myself think. I am walking for about ten minutes until I come across the chasm. I sit on the ledge and look at the flowing water underneath me.

Why doesn't Eric think that people think he is incapable of having feelings. I can't imagine living my life as a miserable leader that only works 24/7. I think his problem is that he is to scared to let anyone love him or care about him. Maybe he

Isn't used to it. I certainly am not used to having people care about me.

Thoughts like this run through my Mind until I look down at my watch and see that it is ten minutes till training. I don't want to go because I know Eric is in a bad mood

As soon as I walk into the training room I see a board with all of our names on it. There is only three pair because more and more people are getting scared to transfer to dauntless because of the new rules.

Since Tobias didn't have to go to work in the control room after lunch he is here and is the first one to speak, "Now that you have learned the technics on how to take down an opponent it is time to put those skills to the test."

Tris speak, "You will fight till one of you is unable to continue." I can see that Tris winced a little at her words, but I don't think anyone else noticed.

"These are your opponents I put you against", Eric tells us. I can still tell that he is angry from his previous argument with Tris.

At first I didn't read the board. When I finally read it, it says:

Drake - Amber

Ian - Stiff

Tina - Megan

I read the board over and over again until I have it engraved in my mind. I'm against Ian. I'm against IAN!!!!

He has got to be kidding me. Ian has been eyeing me like a piece of meat every since that day in the train.

I stand by the ring and mindlessly watch the fight between Drake and Amber. I barely pay attention because Drake is huge and Amber is about 5 inches taller than me and I am 5'3. Drake is about 6'3 and he is really buff not as buff as Eric, but he's pretty big. Drake will obviously win the fight so there no point in watching.

I can't believe Eric paired me with Ian. He knows that I don't fancy him very much. I want to feel bad for Eric but I can't, because I know if people ever found out about Marcus I wouldn't want their pity. So I'm sure he doesn't want or need mine which I am totally fine with.

I know since I came from Abnegation and since I lived with Marcus I am supposed to be afraid of getting close to people and I am, but with Eric it's different for some reason. I don't know what to call it but whenever I am with him I feel happier. I have a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach. Even if he is being the mean dauntless leader that everyone knows, I can't help but admire the good qualities about him. Then my mind drifts off to who knows where like it is right now.

"Ian, Stiff! Time to fight!", Eric tells us.

I try to swallow my nervousness but it ends up feeling like I'm trying drink cement.

I walk past Eric and "accidentally" step on his foot and he groans quietly so only I can hear him.

As I am walking to the ring I see Ian smirking. We stand across each other and I try to remember everything we were taught. I remember that Ian is strong but he has bad technique. His punches are sloppy and he has a bullet wound so that's another weakness.

"Fight"

Ian runs towards me to try pin me down but I duck under his arms. Quickly before he turns around I jump to jab him in the back of his neck while kicking him in the side. He stumbles to the side and turns around. "You bitch", he tries to pick me up but I slide underneath him. He turns around and punches me in the temple. I'm disoriented for a bit and he takes the chance to punch me in the shoulder right where my bullet wound is. I fall to the ground and make it look like I passed out. He turns around to his friends and yells in victory. I quickly get up, step on the foot he got shot in, jump and wrap my legs around his neck. Ian falls to the ground and groans in pain. I continue to choke him until he passes out then I let go.

I step out of the ring and see Tobias circle my name.

I walk over to where I was standing before, next to Tris, and start to feel dizzy. I see big black. Spots disappearing and reappearing in my vision. I stumble and next thing I know is that I'm falling and someone catches me right before I hit the ground and I feel the familiar shiver and burn go through my body right before my whole world goes black.

*******************************

Uhhhhh who might that be??

;-)