Tell Me Witch Women

CHAPTER FIVE

🌙

I didn't say his name

I didn't say his name. Of course, I didn't. He was terrifying to me but also fascinating in an intense manner that made you want to jump in head first. I fought every nerve ending in my body to stay silent, I had gone straight to bed when it all faded, and I could finally see my room again. I didn't want to give any more thought to what was happening.

I hadn't told anyone about last night, and I hadn't planned on it. However, this was getting more complicated than expected. So I sought refuge in my room so as per-usual to not draw any attention to myself.

The palace was quiet, you could hear a low mumbling at times or a door slam, but no one had attempted to even speak to me in the past 24 hours besides the man in the visions. He was like a virus plaguing my mind in all corners, and I was becoming unwound.

I was obnoxiously bored, and as I finally opened my door and looked into the hallway, I was pleasantly surprised to see my father. His hand raised still about the open my amethyst door handle.

"Hello, father ... is everything alright?"

He looked pale, cheeks flushed but hallowing and weak. Nothing looked alright as I saw no maids or guards walking the halls. He breathed deeply and opened his hand for me to grasp. I knew what that meant, a family meeting... which also meant something was needed from me or something to be said to me.

I eagerly grasped his hand, and he led me down the empty halls before pushing open the grand door to the formal room. My mother sat hunched over her skin, blemished and pale. I was pale, we all were, but this put a new standard to pale in the Moon Palace.

I was motioned to sit beside my mother as I watched my father walk around and sit in a handcrafted wood armchair in front of us. My mother usually greeted or hugged me, but she sat hunched over and in disarray this time.

"Katerina, I've brought you here at this hour to inform you we have yet to find who you are chosen for."

The breath I was holding finally released. I was relieved that no one had found him or I was somewhat disappointed that they hadn't. It was a rollercoaster just sitting there as my father gritted his teeth, and my mother looked around nervously as she began shifting from one spot to another.

"Come on out."

My eyes traveled the room until landing on the highest of the high in our witch coven. The slim but powerful-looking woman walked with grace and dominance with every step till sitting beside me.

Her long thin black hair hung like silk curtains down her back, and olive skin and high cheekbones were a beautiful focal point that even her mesh head veil couldn't hide.

She was young to be the grand master of her witch coven but not too young. As she sat beside me, I remembered her name was Lily. A reasonably delicate name for such a woman the radiated strength.

A server came in shortly after with a tray consisting of a tea kettle and glass green, gold, and purple vials. Gentling setting it down in front of us on the metal coffee table, the teacup rattled just the slightest, making my mother straighten up in focus.

"Princess, I need you to focus on the image of the boy and ONLY the boy as I mix your drink. You are to take four small sips, it will not be pleasant, but you must swallow and stay focused."

I nodded slowly at every word as she mixed the drink, and steam began to plume up. It didn't smell horrible, but I had a feeling from the way she spoke it would not be as pleasant going down. My father huffed and leaned back in his seat, his head resting backward as if he did not want to witness what would happen.

I began to question what she had said, though, the image of the boy. I hadn't seen him but a couple of times and doubted I could see him. How did she know I had ever seen him?

Lily slowly looked from one person to the next until her dark rich eyes landed on me. Her long fingers grasped the bottom of the cup delicately as she brought it up to me and nodded her head. I held the white cup in anxiety. No one had told me what this would do or why but I didn't have a choice as I brought the drink to my lips.

It smelled of candy. As the drink met my mouth, I wanted to gag. However, it did not taste like candy at all. It was bitter and thick. I fought my gag reflex with every sip. When I swallowed the fourth sip, I breathed a sigh of relief and all but shoved the cup back to Lily, who grinned in amusement.

"Thank you, Princess. You may feel a little sleepy soon. I assure you this is a normal reaction for a young princess. Please do not fight it. However, it will show you the necessary things..."

I nodded, but at this point, I did not feel sleepy at all. So we all sat and watched as Lily moved a hand over the top of the drink and whispered something inaudible.

The plume from the cup started to swirl, my eyes began to feel heavy, and I leaned back on the sofa, trying to keep my eyes open. Trees, birds, and a landscape started to develop from the steam, it was beautiful, and I wanted to keep looking and listening to what was happening, but my body was betraying me.

"What does this mean, Lily ?"

My father's remark was stern and bold but held a hint of desperation that I wasn't used to. Of course, I understood why being marked with a Knight was such a bad thing for me, but I didn't expect such a form of anxiety and desperation from my father.

"This, your majesty... Is where the boy is... we knew he was powerful when he pushed threw our protection ward, but this means-"

My body failed me at that point. I could not stay awake anymore. What I would have done to stay awake just a minute longer was crazy, but there wasn't a choice.

My vision was clouded but slowly came into focus. There was a path in front of me in the woods, big enough for a carriage; I didn't know where this place was; it didn't look like anywhere I had seen before.

It was beautiful and calming, I could hear the birds singing and the leaves and trees rustling with the wind. However, the calm was broken when the pounding of hooves could be heard. Looking in the distance, I saw beautiful purple wood, silver metal, and white horses covered in silver and jewels. It was moving at a decent speed. It passed me just a tiny space when I heard growls from the woods.

Something wasn't right... My knees felt like jello, and I wanted to back away, but I didn't. A deadly storm was playing out in front of me, and I couldn't look away. I hoped my curiosity didn't kill me in the end as I began to watch the scene in front of me.

 I hoped my curiosity didn't kill me in the end as I began to watch the scene in front of me