Prologue

It has been a few weeks since the White Room has been temporarily shut down. 

He temporarily moved me to this house, and assigned a butler to me. 

His name is Matsuo-san. I have gained some respect for him, as he has been kind enough to show me the outside world.

"Kiyotaka-sama, I have told you about my son right?" Matsuo-san called out to me.

"You've mentioned him, but you haven't told me much about him." I answered.

"Ah, well. He's around a year younger than you. Kiyotaka-sama. He's quite the sociable kid I think. Well, based on how often he brings his friends over to our house."

"... Friends, huh...?"

I wonder what it means to be a friend. I wonder what it means to be someone valuable.

But any dreams that I may have, they cannot be obtainable, as long as I am within my father's grasp.

"Ah, here's a picture of him." Matsuo scrolled through his phone, and showed a picture to me.

He had black hair, and blue eyes. The large smile on his face, caused me to be interested.

Why is he so happy? What causes for people to be so happy?

I glanced over to the person next to him. There stood a girl, with long blonde hair and blue eyes. She had a flustered expression, and averted her eyes away from the camera.

"Did this pique your interest, Kiyotaka-sama?" Matsuo asked me.

"Yes... It did." I replied.

"His name is Eiichiro. I hope that one day, your father would let you meet him."

"... The one beside him. Is she a friend?" I asked.

"Ah... Her name is Nanase Tsubasa. She's a little shy, but she is a very kind-hearted girl. She's Eiichiro's most treasured friend."

"I see..."

"Are you interested in friends, perhaps?" He asked me.

I nodded my head. I wanted to know. Why are they so happy? Do friends make people happy?

I want to know... But, my circumstances will not let me.

"... Kiyotaka-sama." He called out my name.

"Hm?" I looked up towards his eyes.

He seemed to be anxious, as he was averting his eyes.

"Do you... Do you want to make friends?"

———

I woke up, and found my head resting on my arms.

"... Matsuo-san." I muttered.

The man I am grateful to. The one that allowed me to experience life. The one who allowed me to have friends.

He gave me a gift that would be valuable to me, for the rest of my life.

But... Such a cherished gift came at the cost. It came at the cost of his life. It came at the cost of his son's life.

Their lives cannot be brought back. Those who loved them, and are loved by them—they will not forget the tragedy that befell them. The tragedy that was inevitably caused by me.

The past can't be changed, all I can do is live with this decision. All I can do is fulfill his wish. To live a peaceful life here, and to make friends, here at ANHS.