Chapter II Operation Javelin

The Fog was lifting as the Task Force travelled on. The Old, unmaintained roads of the outside world was covered in moss and nature. Old structures covered in overgrown vegetation. On the side of the road, old construction equipment for the making of the Walls lay to waste.

The Vanguard trot through the thinning fog. Zeku's Radio, then cackles

"This is Center to Vanguard, Status?"

Zeku holds, waiting if Colt would respond, from which he does

"This is Colt from Vanguard, so far, Area Clear"

Colt was way up the Vanguard Formation with Ordinal Erde along with several Veteran Officers. As for Zeku, she was somewhere in the Middle of the Vanguard Formation along with some Junior Officers and some Regulars.

The Operation had many problems. First was the supplies. They only got 2 days worth of supplies so they need to get to the Outpost before Night.

Second was that the Task Force never got to organize their Radio Frequency, meaning if that 2 people were talking at the same time, it could lead to some confusion.

Yet so far, no such incident occurred just yet. The travel was somewhat slow, but safe. Zeku's radio keeps getting reports from the Vanguard's Front about Titans being spotted yet it seemed like none have approached them. Although, just as they were crossing a bridge, there, Zeku saw her first Titan.

A 3 Meter sized Titan running towards the formation she was in. Several Soldiers panic, but a pair of 2 Veteran Junior Officers charges at it. 

Upon closing the distance, an officer jumps off his horse and hooks on the the Titan and slices off its Left leg, while the other, hooks into its nape and kills it. 

Those who were in panic were astounded by their performance, although upon returning, Zeku took notice of one of the Officers looking very pale

"Oh, it's nothing. Sometimes, when you pull off tight maneuvers like that, you tend to feel like passing out. Pretty sure they taught you that in the Academy"

"Well.. yeah but not to this extent..."

The Officer chuckles and moves back to formation as if nothing happened. For Zeku, that was an experience she'll never forget. 

As dusk came, the abandoned castle was within their sights. The Tall walls and Towers and seemingly filled in Moat clearly show signs of it being an ancient structure. Its bricks, degraded. The Merlons, falling apart. The walls, covered in Vegetation. Everyone was speechless

A cackle in the Radio fills in the silence, followed by Colt's voice relaying Erde's words

"Vanguard to Everyone, we've arrived at our destination. We'll begin clearing the Area of Titan Activity"

Then, an Officer coming from the Forward Vanguard Formation links up with the back formation to relay orders from Erde.

"Ordinal Erde wants you guys to set up tents here and make camp. We'll use this as a Temporary rally point as they clear the Castle"

Then, all of the sudden, a 4 meter Titan came out of the bushes 60 meters away and closed the distance 

"Shit everyone disperse!" an officer yells.

It belly flopped on those who were too slow to escape. 2 soldiers, dead, and another wounded. Zeku just so happened to be directly behind it as it stood. 

Without thinking, she pulled on the trigger of her ODM controls and hooked on to the nape of the Titan and slashed it dead. 

It came crashing down with Zeku struggling to get off its Nape. As it hit the ground, Zeku fell on her back and slightly damaged the radio she was still wearing.