Chapter IV The Empire

Another day passes within the walls. Ignorant Farmers within Hadrian's Walls plow the fields.

Miners on the Mountains drill for minerals.

Factories plume out smoke as they smelt and manufacture products.

The Railways, though a new invention, line the plains with trains delivering all sorts of minerals to the factories.

Society felt normal, but yet, it doesn't change the fact that humanity is still endangered by the presence of the Titans.

Hadrian's Wall, a 15 Meter high wall with a deep moat outside makes it seem mighty, but in truth it was built cheaply with mortar and brick.

Still, it was formidable. Not one Titan has breached through the Grey Wall that served as humanity's first line of Defense. Yet it would be rendered useless without the efforts of the brave soldiers that maintain the structure.

Operation Javelin was a costly success. Supplies are being delivered through cleared roads as the engineers from the Ripensis Regiment construct palisades in both sides of the road to the outpost to make things someehat safer.

Thr cost of such Operation made the Military reevaluate their strategies. It was a time of change. Technological improvements had skyrocketed when humanity confined themselves within the walls with all the knowledge from the world.

When the Apocalypse began, it wasn't only the Empire that suffered. Multiple Civilizations from East to West flocked to the last bastion of civilization left.

Under the rule of Emperor Hadrian, humanity survived. The sheer miracle that a competent Emperor took power by the time the Apocalypse started is nothing short of a miracle.

Although that was all in the past. As of now, people are more focused on their daily lives rather than the titans.

Lieutenant Colt Dawson, who was just recently promoted, was writing down his Mission report to the Venator Magistrate.

Since he is now the highest ranking Venator who participated in the Operation, he was given the task of writing down the mission report.

He didn't really like the extra work. Sure, the pay is decent, has access to some good food and a better lifestyle, but he still has to deal with the paperwork which may pile up if he leaves it. Afterall, being the 2nd Largest Regiment, it requires a lot of work ti maintain it.

Just as he was just about done, a Junior Officer walks into his office, carrying more paperwork for him to finish.

"Hey so Specialists from 3rd Company needs you to sign these supply acquisition documents" he says as he puts down the pile of paper on Colt's desk "Apparently some drunk dude pissed on the Water Supply thinking it was the latrine. Now they need new ones"

Colt's eyes widened and the sense of freedom within him vanished.

He checks the pile papers, and turns to the officer, who is actually his assistant.

"Damnit Roy, you could've just passed this on to some other Lieutenant. It doesn't have to be specifically me" he says in frustration

"Hey, if they gave me these papers, I'm giving it to you. I'm not gonna pass this on to some other officer." Roy, his assistant, replies "If I were to simply put it, that'd be like cheating on my Senior Officer"

"Cheating!?"

Colt seemed flustered, but sighs and does the work anyways

"Sooo.... I guess I'll be-"

"You ain't going off easy you twit" Colt says jokingly "Go to the Cafeteria and talk to the Chef and give him this letter." Colt then hands him a letter "Tell him I sent you"