Chapter III The Guard

"All ground forces, Advance"

Horses hooves began to trot through the abandoned roads. The River Island was quiet. Animals were silent. Birds didn't fly and the trees rustle in the absence of wind.

And there, on the dense vegetation of trees, shrubs and Grass, titans burst out running towards the Center of the Formation, towards the Wagons.

"TITANS ON OUR RIGHT! 200 METERS AND CLOSING!" a soldier yells out directly to the commander.

Sora Hiragi, Magistrate, of the Imperial Guard, took note of this and fires a red flare towards the Titans.

"2nd Squad, Engage!" she commands

Immediately, 8 soldiers gallops towards the small cluster of 4 titans.

The Squad Leader gives out the order to switch to ODM Gear the moment they were in range.

4 soldiers jump off their horses and hook on to the titans.

One maneuvered around a titans neck, and reeled in hard towards its nape, and slashed it. The titan falls as the soldier slowly descends, pale after that hard maneuver.

The other soldiers do the same, although one maneuvered soo hard he ended up passing out mid air after pulling a 7G turn around the neck. Luckily, one of his squad-mates caught him off the air, while the others dealt with the remaining Titans.

ODM Combat is a dangerous thing to do, even with Veterans. Technology to nullify the effects of high Gs turns simply does not exist yet, and thus, soldiers risk their lives fighting against titan and physics itself.

The Squad returned back to formation, with the injured one regaining consciousness and returned back to his duties.

"There's more Titan Activity here than usual, especially the parts where we cleared yesterday" the Magistrate mutters to herself

"Miku!" She calls out to one of the Ripensis Sergeants "Radio the Vanguard. Tell them to pick up the pace. We're double timing"

"Yes ma'am!" she replies as she sends the message via radio

"Center to Vanguard, Orders from Magistrate. Pick up the Pace, we're double timing"

then, a reply comes in from Colt Dawson

"Copy"

With a slight tap on her horse's hip with her heel, she picks up the pace and begins to move faster along with the formation. It seemed like they have another long day ahead of them.

Miku Dawson, though not directly related to Colt Dawson, is Sora's friend. She's been in operations outside the walls but this may be the first time she went out on one with the Magistrate. Seeing her cheerful friend disciplined and serious for the first time often makes her uneasy.

The horses began galloping faster as the task force tried to avoid the hordes around the Area of Operations.

Center and the Vanguard was going too fast that the rearguard started to fall behind, although they didn't know this as they were beyond the visual range of the formation.

Often times they would radio for the position of the Center and would learn they're getting further and further away.

The Magistrate couldn't exactly tell the entire formation to hold as that would endanger the lives of everyone in it.

Worst of all, several Titans are approaching from all directions, possibly drawn to the amount of people in the Task Force.

Thus, she made the decision to carry on. She did order the formation to slow down, but given the distance of the rearguard, possibly around a mile away at this point, it shows little change to their situation.