Chapter Thirty: Al, Wednesday

Carl the physical therapist tried Al on a walker today, and before he knew it he was scooting around the ICU.

It was astounding how fast he was progressing. He felt stronger every day, now that he was getting real food in him. At this rate they'd be looking to send him home and free up the hospital bed. He was going to the bathroom on his own with confidence, taking the handholds just in case; that was usually a sign that he'd be able to finish resting at home. The only question was how his head was healing up. He wondered how it looked under the bandages.

He was just finishing up another circuit of the ICU, waving at the nurses at their station as they cheered him on, when he noticed an older gentleman in an Oxford shirt and khakis under an open coat, looking at the names on the board outside his room. When the man noticed him, he straightened up and looked at him closely.

"Al," he said.

"Hello," Al said.

"Al, it's Richard. Your uncle."

Of course it was. The man was basically himself with white hair and more wrinkles, but he was still a handsome man.

"Hello," he said. "I take it my mother called you and let you know I was here?"

"She did," he said. "For the love of God, I hadn't heard her voice in years, not since Charles' funeral. It was a good thing Linda was away at the time and we could talk, because her revelation floored me."

"It did a number on me too." He didn't bother to mention that his revelation came to him from his father's ghost while he was in his coma.

They stood looking at each other for a minute before Al said, "I should probably sit down. Did you want to come inside?"

"Sure." He still looked shell-shocked, and Al felt a little sorry for him.

Richard opened the door and Al wheeled himself inside. He sat, arranging his hospital gown to cover himself up. 

"How are you feeling?" Richard asked. "I heard you were in an accident."

"Yes. I was in a coma for a few weeks. I'm up and about, now. Feeling pretty good."

"That's good to hear."

They both stared at each other for another minute before Richard said, "There's no handbook for this, is there? What to do when you find out the nephew you haven't seen for most of his life turns out to be your son?"

Al chuckled. "No, I suppose there isn't."

"I guess in hindsight it all makes sense now, why Charles never wanted us in the same room together. We weren't close but I never meant to hurt him."

"Were you and Mom in love?" Al asked, more directly than he'd intended.

He smiled sadly and said, "I don't know if our feelings ever progressed that far, simply because we were never free to let them. We only got together once, but I suppose once is all it takes."

Al nodded. "Thanks for coming here and reaching out, at least. I know this must be hard."

"It would be harder on Linda. I can't break her heart now. It was my one and only slip-up, and she shouldn't suffer for something that happened nearly fifty years ago."

"I agree. I think for everyone's comfort we should just keep this between you, me and Mom. Your wife and kids don't have to know. I'm not looking to make any new brothers and sisters, nor do I want a share of your estate."

Richard chuckled. "It wouldn't be much anyway. My children are much more successful than I am."

"Will you tell me about them? I'm not even sure I know all their names."