Prologue: I Need You

Before we begin, I'd like to mention/clarify a few things.

One, I'm not gonna show your appearance (Should be self-explanatory) You are you, the reader. Not some edgy anime boy off Pinterest.

I'm pretty sure Encanto takes place in Colombia around the 1900s - 1960s, so, people of different races existed there. There are Afro Latinos, (black people, like me, Felix, Antonio, etc) White Latinos, Latinos, etc. So this book is for you and you can be whoever you want.

I would also like to mention that this book has NO YAOI. I was tired of seeing yaoi male reader books, especially for a character who barely appears in the movie. *cough cough.*

And there just aren't any "straight male reader" books in general. So... Yeah.

I won't be writing the musicals in this book because it'll be a pain, but if you guys want me to, I will.

Y/N - Your Name

L/N - Last Name

S/C - Skin Color

E/C - Eye Color

H/C - Hair Color

F/C - Favorite Color

.

.

.

I remember the day Mirabel was supposed to get her powers... Her, "miracle," to be more specific.

That day, I was only five, as I could also see how nervous my best friend was.

I specifically remember Mirabel's lip twitching up, right before she scanned the crowd for my face, as her eyes landed on me, our gazes intensely interlocking for the first time.

"Come..." She'd say, sticking out her hand to me.

I'd nervously back up, sinking deeper into the crowd.

"I can't..." I'd reply, thinking about the bad blood between my grandmother and her grandmother.

Mirabel's short stature would shift toward me, almost as if she was contemplating running over to me and dragging me from the crowd.

She'd stick her hand out more, as her eyes seemed to call to me.

"Please..." She'd start. "I need you."

I'd open my mouth, speechless. As I hesitantly walked out into the light.

I yelp as I suddenly bump into Mirabel, and see that my grandmother, Lola, had pushed me into her.

"You take too long!" She'd announce with a chuckle, as she waves her fingers in front of her, signaling me to walk ahead.

Mirabel's lips stop twitching, as they curl into a big smile.

She sticks her hand out to me once more, this time, her hand asking to embrace mine.

I take it, as the two of us hold hands.

The onlookers would gasp in both shock and confusion, as I slowly ascended the steps to the door with my best friend.

Our fingers laced over each other's, and at that moment, I experienced a physical and spiritual feeling I'd never forget.

I felt a power, I felt like I could take on the world. I felt like I could see everything, and that I could defend anyone and anything in need of my help.

I felt like a superhero.

There, as Mirabel and I continued to ascend the steps, Alma, or, Abuela Madrigal to me, would look me in my eyes with a blank stare... Almost as if she despised me.

She'd then cradle the magic candle in her hands like she was protecting it from me.

After eyeing me cautiously, she'd look at my grandmother, and bite the inside of her cheek, not knowing what to do.

Abuela would then lower her body just enough so that she was the same height as Mirabel and I, as Mirabel releases her grasp on my hand.

The power I felt disappeared just as quickly as it came, as I watched Mirabel rest her now free hands on the candle.

Abuela's eyes fell on me, telling me not to touch the candle, even without saying a single word.

My heart would race as my eyes remained trained on the flame, my hands almost raised themselves and touched the candle, but, by then, Mirabel was already at the door.

I'd look at the door in pure awe, my young attention span making me look at the door instead of the candle.

Its golden handle and hinges sparkle and shine like the sun.

My eyes remained widened, my mouth agape, as I watched Mirabel's hand wrap around the handle.

My view shows only the door, Mirabel, and Abuela, as my eyes continue to grow like a balloon filling with air.

My eyes quickly shifted from the candle in Abuela's hands to Mirabel, who was standing in front of the door.

I watch as Mirabel's hand is fully wrapped around the handle, her fingers shaking in anticipation.

The golden hue that existed on the handle began to disperse into a cloud of glittery dust.

But, this is where everything went wrong...

The "magic," or, "brightness" of the door began to fade, as, around this time, something would happen to show that a Madrigal had gained abilities.

"Why is this happening?!"

"Where is her gift? What happened to the miracle?!"

Random villagers began to murmur, fear infiltrating their hearts.

"W-What's going on?" I'd confusingly ask Abuela, who'd scoff at me.

Abuela would cup the candle, even more, its flames seeming to disperse. "You! You did something!" Abuela accusingly points her finger at me, my grandmother coming into the scenery as she shows up to my defense.

"Y/N didn't do anything, and you know that, Alma!" The crowd silences themselves as they stare at the two elderly women.

Alma sighs, as she turns her head to the crowd.

"Everything in Encanto is fine, the magic is strong, and it will stay strong! We are the Madrigals!"

A simple "speech" like that worked wonders for the crowd, as they all cheered.

The next day, however, didn't go so well for Mirabel and me.

It was silent and awkward for the two of us, Mirabel not exactly knowing what to say to me even though I never looked at her differently.

I've always known her for other reasons besides being the only Madrigal without a gift.

Back to the day after, she was the biggest news being spread around Encanto.

She'd tell me that, the morning she woke up, the adults were talking about her. As well as her siblings and cousins.

They'd all stare at her when she walked past them as if their stares would fuel her with a miracle.

And her Abuela, well, she was worried and very distant.

Especially towards me.

Things seemed to have gotten worse between my family and the Madrigals, but as everyone got older, it appeared to have faded.

Nobody said much.

Almost every day, she'd thank me, and remind me that she needed me, which always put a smile on my face.

Mirabel and I could take on the world together if we wanted to. And that's exactly how I felt that day.

But, now, I'm much older... Ten years older.

And times are changing...

...There's something wrong with the miracle, but I don't know what.

I'll figure it out though.

WE'LL figure it out.

Mirabel and I.

Together.