Chapter 4: Surface Pressure

There's a knock at your front door, as you scramble around your house, trying your best to force your shirt onto your body.

Grandma Lola: "It's okay Y/N, I'll get it."

Your grandmother opens the front door.

Mirabel: "O-Oh-! Good morning, senorita Lola."

Your grandmother beams brightly, as Mirabel's eyes travel past your grandmother and land on you, more specifically your stomach, considering you still haven't put your shirt on all the way.

Mirabel quickly turns around, her body facing the outdoors.

Mirabel: "S-Sorry!"

Lola chuckles as she grabs Mirabel's shoulders, steering her inside.

Grandma Lola: "Don't worry about it! It's not your fault at all, it's his!" Your grandmother enthusiastically says as she playfully shoves Mirabel inside the house.

You deadpan at your grandmother.

Mirabel chuckles. "So Y/N..." She starts. "You ready?"

Y/N: "Yep."

Grandma Lola looks at you two and raises her eyebrow.

Mirabel: "Senorita... It's not like that."

Grandma Lola laughs.

Grandma Lola: "Alright then, you two go have fun before I hear something I don't wanna hear."

Mirabel's face turns bright red as she hastily grabs you and leads you out the door, quickly shutting it behind you two.

Y/N: "What do you mean it's not like that? What was Grandma talking about?"

Mirabel sighs, but breaks it as a smile forms on her lips.

Mirabel: "...Don't worry about it."

The two of you walk towards La Casa Madrigal, your eyes falling on the outside patio.

Mirabel: "...If anyone would know what's
wrong with the magic, it's her."

The two of you watch as several arepas are picked up by Dolores, who is stacking her plate with food.

She looks oddly nervous.

Behind her, you and Mirabel enter the patio as Mirabel gestures at you, telling you to let her do the talking.

Mirabel: "Dolores! Hey! You know, out of all my older cousins, you're like, my favorite cousin, so I feel like I can talk to you about anything, and you can talk to me about anything, like the problem with the magic last night that no one seemed to worry about, but maybe you heard something about that... That I should maybe know about..."

Behind them is Felix, who stands next to...

Y/N: "Dolores?"

Felix: "Camilo! Stop pretending you're Dolores so you can have seconds!"

The "Dolores" near Mirabel morphs back into Camilo, as the House takes his food back and whacks his hand.

Camilo: "Ow! It was worth a shot! Ow!"

The real Dolores leans over to you two and whispers.

Dolores: "The only one worried about the magic is you... And the rats talking in the walls... Oh, and Luisa. I heard her eye twitching all night."

A lightbulb goes off in Mirabel's head. She looks over at Luisa, who is carrying a table over with one hand.

But as you and Mirabel head for Luisa, Abuela Alma enters.