Chapter 1: Toddler

"...YOUR MAJESTY? YOUR MAJESTY!"

A sudden voice snapped Toriel out of a small trance she quietly slipped into. She was sitting on her throne, listening to Papyrus and reading over a couple of requests from civilian monsters about improving the Underground, until she started thinking deeply and then...

"...should rest."

Ah, it happened again...

"I am sorry. Can you repeat that?" Toriel asked.

"i was saying that you keep spacing out and if you're not feeling well, maybe you should stop and rest." Sans sighed.

"Oh! No, no, I am feeling just fine. I was merely thinking is all and I also just remembered that the golden flowers in the ruins have not been watered today, to my knowledge." she turned her focus to "Papyrus, dear?"

"YES, YOUR MAJESTY?"

"Young one, I told you, you do not need to refer to me as such. You may call me by name. Anyhow, will you be a dear and water those flowers for me? We do not want them to wither." Toriel finished slightly exasperated.

There was a silent agreement of 'We need those flowers to break their fall in case another human falls.'

"OF COURSE, YOUR MAJESTY! I, YOUR GREAT ROYAL GUARDSMAN, WILL MAKE HASTE!"

"Oh, the watering can is under the kitchen sink!" Toriel called after him as he rushed away and then giggled at his enthusiasm.

"Now then," Papyrus heard her say before he completely exited the room. "Will you accompany me, Sans? There are some requests I can do now—"

Papyrus didn't hear Sans' response.

"ALRIGHT!" Papyrus spoke to himself cheerfully as he filled up the watering can and proceeded to walk towards the flowers.

He hummed (nyeheh-ed) his own theme while he made his way to the room and promptly exclaimed when entering, "FEAR NOT, YOUNG FLOWERS! THE GREAT PAPYRUS IS HERE TO QUENCH YOUR THIRST!"

He could have sworn the flowers answered him with a small high-pitched whine, but he shrugged it off, thinking how silly that sounded. Flowers don't speak and Echo Flowers only mimic you, so it's not the same! Actually, there was that one flower...

He neared the flower bed and positioned the watering can over it, but stopped short when he spotted some out of place colors popping out of the mass of yellow.

"NYEH?"

He crouched down to try and get a better look and he gasped happily upon finally making out a tiny, curled up bundle in a faded purple shirt that looked to be baggy and light colored shorts. He picked up the small, unsuspecting human child with a happy, lit-up face; the child jumping out of it's skin with a startled gasp. There was a pause of motion as a sudden air of fear surrounded the child and a bemused expression plastered itself on Papyrus' face as the child's lip quivered.

WHAT JUST HAPPENED—

Before he could fully finish his thought, the child let out a loud cry making Papyrus jump out of his skin.

Pun intended.

"OH NO!" Papyrus panicked. "PLEASE DON'T CRY TINY HUMAN! I'M NOT SCARY! UM...UH...OH! I KNOW!"

Papyrus threw the child up in the air and caught her. He continued to repeat this action until the child was squealing with laughter.

"THERE YOU ARE! YOU SEE, I'M NOT SO SCARY AT ALL!" Papyrus smiled.

The child reached up curiously and put her tiny hands on his teeth, wanting to know what it felt like, all the while making little cooing noises. Papyrus stayed silent for fear of accidentally biting her hand.