Chapter 2: Child

"Daddy?"

"princess?"

Sans was slouched in the living room couch, lazily watching a program Mettaton starred in on TV with half lidded eye sockets, until his daughter came up to him. Upon looking at her form, he straightened up, giving her his full attention and waited.

"I made you something at school today."

Little Y/n, now six years old, looked at her adoptive father with a soft blush on her cheeks. She worked hard on her little project, and was even excited to gift it to him, but now that the time came, she felt bashful. What if he didn't like it after all?

He knew she was acting a little secretive when he picked her up from school today. He decided to leave it, however, thinking that when she felt comfortable, she would come to him.

Anything his daughter makes is precious to him, even if what she made resembled a blob to him when it was supposed to be a cat. So with silent glee and enlarged eye lights filled with happiness, he patiently waited for her to pull a piece of paper out from behind her back.

A water-color painting. It looked like a bunch of yellow blobs with green sticks holding them up on the bottom of the page in front of a blue sky. There were white blobs on the top of the page and a yellow circle in the top left corner.

So it was a painting of a field of yellow flowers, the blue sky, clouds and the sun, Sans concluded. It was one of the most beautiful paintings he had ever seen in his life.

"it's beautiful." he announced, love clear in his voice.

"You like it?"

"i love it. thank you, sweetheart."

Y/n's whole face lit up, sporting a big, happy smile. One of the biggest he's seen. Something about him praising her always put the biggest smiles on her face. She bounced in place, giggling in glee.

"I remember you said uncle Papy found me hiding in golden flowers. So I made the flowers for you!"

"best present i ever got."

She crawled into her father's big lap and hugged him, snuggling into him.

"I love you, daddy."

"love you to the heavens and back, princess." he said as he hugged her back.

Y/n gave him a look, but couldn't help but giggle at his pun. Oh here we go...

"what, can't i praise my golden child?"

"Daddy!"

"water you want? you've always colored my world."

"No! No more puns!" she cried, covering his teeth with her small hands.

"you're smiling~" he sang in a clear voice, her hands doing nothing to so much as muffle him.

"I am and I hate it!" she borrowed a quote she once heard from her uncle.

Sans' grin grew and he hugged her against his side, a comfortable silence settling in. Finally noticing a familiar robotic voice, she turned to the T.V and marveled at it.

"Ton Ton is on T.V!" she pointed, happily. "He made it, like he said he would!"

"he sure did. 's nice to see him performing again."

The comfortable silence returned as they watched TV together, before Y/n spoke up again.

"...How come no one else is home?"

Oh yeah. He almost forgot why it was so quiet.

Two years ago Y/n had expressed something equivalent to "A mama and daddy should be living together!" because of what she often saw on T.V when it came to families. After that, Sans, Toriel, Papyrus and Frisk got together and talked about possibly moving into a bigger place to live together. Now they lived in a five bedroom house, each person having their own room.