Chapter 4: Second Chance

"Mama, who's Asriel?"

Toriel jolted, almost dropping the dishes she was washing.

The family had a wonderful dinner once again, courtesy of Toriel and she took it upon herself to happily wash the dishes afterwards while Sans and Papyrus sat on the couch to watch T.V and Frisk, Y/n and Flowey—who finally fell to Frisk's charms and begrudgingly came to live with them on the surface—went to play. During which Frisk accidentally called Flowey "Asriel" and when Y/n questioned it, Flowey mischievously responded with "Ask Toriel. She knows.". The eight year old hurried away with an excited, "OK!" before Frisk could say "goat".

"Asriel?" Toriel repeated. "Where did you hear that name?"

"Frisky said it." Y/n innocently confessed.

Frisk rounded the corner and stood at the entrance of the kitchen with an apologetic expression.

"Sorry, Mom."

"That is all right, my child."

Toriel smiled softly, dried her furry paws on her apron and took Y/n by the hand, mentioning Frisk to also follow her. She led them to her room and began rummaging through a drawer until she pulled out an old framed photo. The old photo featured a small goat boy and a human who seemed around his age who were both happily smiling. Toriel and Asgore stood behind the children with their paws on their shoulders. The human child held a bouquet of golden flowers which almost obstructed their whole face from the photo, but not quite. Toriel pointed to the goat boy.

"This one here is my Asriel. He was just about your age in this picture."

"Your Asriel..." Y/n gently took the frame from her mother for a closer look. "So, he's my big brother?"

"That is right."

"What about them?" Y/n pointed to the human child.

"That is also your big brother, Chara. He fell into the Underground a long, long time ago, much like you and Frisk did."

"Oh." Y/n smiled at the picture. "Where are they?"

Toriel smiled sadly and gently took back the frame. "They are not with us anymore."

Y/n was not naive enough to not know what that meant and started to tear up and cry at the thought.

"Oh dear!" Toriel scooped her and held her against her.

"I wanted to meet them..."

Toriel let out a sad sigh, almost tearing up herself, but tried to keep a smile on her face.

"I would have loved for you to meet them."

Frisk glanced at Flowey, who scoffed and looked away. Frisk steeled himself, he will find a way to get Flowey back to normal and bring Chara back.

Watching the pained expressions of his loved ones filled Frisk with Determination.

After Y/n calmed down, Frisk let Toriel know that he's going to visit Alphys with Flowey.

"where ya goin', kiddo?" Sans called out when he reached the door.

"Visiting Alphys."

"OH, LET ME ACCOMPANY YOU!"

"It's OK, Pap, I'll be fine."

"you sure, kid?" Sans piped up once again.

"Yup! I'll be just fine. See you later!"

"see ya." "SEE YOU LATER!"

"T-There you are, Frisk. I was starting to get worried." Alphys said when Frisk walked through her lab's door.