Chapter 3: Court Case

"My client was acting with the Intention of Good Faith, your Honor."

After Undyne had the child kidnapper detained, she asked Sans if he wanted to press charges as per her job and he said yes, so she had the attention of the court system put upon him. He was charged with Child Abduction and had to get his lawyer involved to fight for him in court. This man, Charles, had said to the judge that he was afraid for Y/n's well being because a skeleton monster for a parent couldn't possibly know how to take care of a human child. A skeleton monster simply doesn't have everything else that a human does, all they have in common is the skeleton. Sans kept his neutral grinning face on his skull through the whole case, secretly glaring at the human scum, who had kidnapped his little girl just one week prior. Toriel, Papyrus, Frisk, and even Alphys joined Sans in court, sitting behind him in the audience and offering silent moral support. Undyne was sitting to the side as a witness and as the officer who rescued Y/n, waiting for her turn to answer any questions.

Y/n is six years old, which means she's old enough to testify and recall events. The judge had taken Y/n to her chamber to talk to her privately, concluding that the child was old enough to tell her the whole story. The female judge had to see if there was any trauma: physical, mental and/or emotional. With the evidence Y/n provided, Charles was facing a fine of ten thousand dollars and three years behind bars.

Sans personally thought that the possible outcome was too lenient. That man should stay behind bars for life.

"Tell me how you found out Y/n was missing." the judge turned her attention to Sans.

"i was woken up in the morning by her mother, toriel. she usually takes care of getting her ready for school. she was panicking 'cause she couldn't find her anywhere in the house, so she called me and showed me the broken window in her room." Sans recounted at the podium.

"And you have pictures of the window, correct?"

Sans thanked the stars and back that Papyrus thought of taking pictures. Sans certainly wasn't in the right state of mind that day to think of anything other than getting his daughter back. He handed the printed pictures to the judge's aid, who then handed them to the judge for her to look over. There were three pictures of the damages: one of the window, one of the broken glass on the bedroom carpet and one taken further away to show both the window and the broken glass. The courtroom was silent as the judge looked it over and from the corner of his eye socket, Sans could see Charles get visibly nervous, before pulling himself back together.

"Now, Officer Undyne, you claimed that Mr. Charles said something distasteful when you put him away, is that right?" the judge asked after taking a good look at the pictures and setting them down.

"Yes, Ma'am!" Undyne exclaimed, standing up. "He said, "Monsters don't have the right to raise a human child!"."

"And you heard him say that?" the judge turned to Sans once again.

"so did y/n, your honor." Sans nodded.

The judge shot Charles a stink-eye that said, "really?".

"You know it's been four years, right, Mr. Charles?" the judge spoke. "Monsters have their rights and there is no law stating that they cannot raise children, human or not. You, sir," she pointed a judging finger at him.

Pun intended.

"Have no right to say that Monsters do or do not have a right to raise a human child."

It was clear that the judge was getting angry, but she had her professionalism keeping her feelings in check.

"Intention of Good Faith, you say?" she spoke to Charles' lawyer. "There's a broken window." she paused, eyeing the lawyer and holding one of the pictures up for him to see from where he was sitting. "The child's bedroom is on the second floor. He went through a lot of trouble to take this child, in the middle of the night, from her bedroom on the second floor of this house." she held up another picture of the house that Papyrus had taken when they first moved in, he wanted to remember the moment right before they entered the house, so he took a picture of the whole thing. She turned her attention back to Charles. "What did you do, use a latter?"